What's a good end of summer beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallAdkins

Reaction score
I brew every other Saturday, so 4 weeks from yesterday I am going to brew a Pumpkin Ale for the start of fall (which I stated in another thread if you'd like to give advice on that), but I need an end of summer beer to slide in between that and the Breakfast Stout (I know, not very summery) that I brewed yesterday.

Any tips? Thinking maybe a citrus blonde.

RIS. stout season: go big or go home.

I mean, as delicious as a good Russian is, that doesn't really scream summer. Plus, I just brewed a Breakfast Stout, and I brew every two weeks so I have a new beer to drink every two weeks. Not sure my waistline would appreciate a month straight of heavy stouts.

You want summer and then you say end of summer.

Anyway, I'd probably do a real nice nut brown ale then.

You want summer and then you say end of summer.

Anyway, I'd probably do a real nice nut brown ale then.

Maybe I worded it poorly. I want one last summer beer before I switch to fall and winter.

Maybe some sorta Wheat beer. I'm drinking my Blackberry Wheat now and it's fitting nicely on a sticky late August night.

Sent from my van, down by the river.

Maybe some sorta Wheat beer. I'm drinking my Blackberry Wheat now and it's fitting nicely on a sticky late August night.

Sent from my van, down by the river.

That might be an awesome idea actually. I haven't done a fruit or a wheat beer yet. 2 birds with one beer..err stone.

Just finished brewing mine. A nice Belgium wit.
Can't go wrong with a good wheat beer for summer or end of summer.

I mean, as delicious as a good Russian is, that doesn't really scream summer. Plus, I just brewed a Breakfast Stout, and I brew every two weeks so I have a new beer to drink every two weeks. Not sure my waistline would appreciate a month straight of heavy stouts.

alright then, how about a Belgian Quad? or a RIS?

American Amber Ale.... Hoppy, West Coast style. Great beer to drink in the fall.

Or, if you are not a big fan of hops, something like an alt would be a bit more malty/balanced. Again, a nice amber beer for fall.

Here in VA the end of summer might as well just be summer-lite. The temperature is 85F and the water is 78F. A nice low alcohol pale ale goes great with it all. Throw in some hops that you think have a nice citrus flavor and there you go.

Late summer to me demands a transition towards fall beer styles. So instead of the pure lawnmower beers you drink in July, something a little maltier but not your typical fall ESB/brown ales/porters. Maybe an amber ale or a best bitter. I think a saison would do nicely as well.

Back