What's a good base profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I decided to purchase an RO system after the water test revealed that the water where I live is terrible for brewing.

Looking around on Beersmith, EZ water, and Bru'N, I'm honestly overwhelmed.

What is a good base water for brewing IPAs and blonde brews? I was just thinking of using 10 grams of each gypsum and Calcium Chloride for an 11 gallon full volume mash. I'm somewhere around 13-14 gallons of starting water depending on the brew.

Below is a pic of the 20 gallon storage tank I just got. I plan to install this thing by the weekend.

Do you guys have a formula per gallon?

2017-01-25 18.09.27.jpg

Blonde ales might benefit from soft water so just enough CaCl to get you to say 40-50ppm Calcium.

There are different opinions on IPAs. Some like Sulfate around 150 plus and some like it soft where Chloride is higher and sulfate is low.

I have tried low (50ppm) and middle (150ppm) sulfate levels on pale ales and haven't noticed a huge difference between the two. The most important thing is to get your room temperature mash pH in the range of 5.3-5.5ish. From my experience that had a bigger impact on my beers than the chloride / sulfate adjustments.

Back