What would you use this for? Copper Mesh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Back into AG brewing, and I admit, I'm a scrounger :eek:

We are cleaning out the lab at work, and I found a roll of unused copper screen. It has the mesh size similar to a window screen, but its thicker or heavier or whatever you'd want to call it. Its not floppy, but can be bent/shaped by hand. Its a roll approximately 10 feet X 3 feet.

Is this useful? Is copper ok to use around beer?

We already have a screen-type manifold in our MLT. I could save some for replacing that if it ever wears out (and if copper is a good choice). I stopped using choreboys at the end of my racking cane when I realized that whole-leaf hops form a good filter bed on their own. It might be handy to make hop-bags out of it for dry hopping in the keg (if copper is ok), but thats all I can think of.

Is this a useful find? Or is it going to get me an NCIS style slap upside the head from hubby when I get home?

Copper is a great choice. You could use that to strain your wort through to your fermenter.

I'd love to buy a 1x3 foot piece of that if you're interested. I want to put a screen around my MLT's manifold to help prevent stuck sparges. Not a clue what to offer for it though.

might be awesome for holding whole hops during the boil like a big, very open tea infuser ball.

sounds too coarse for straining the wort, unless you're straining whole hops.

You could make a Faraday cage around your fermenters with it, to keep the government from affecting the yeasts. Or david's idea is OK too.

Back