What would you drink if you were going to Germany??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beng

Reaction score
I'll be traveling through Germany soon, 3 days total will be spent there. I won't really be able to drive all around and visit where I want....I'm with a small Group returning from the middle east.

So what beers would you try to get your hands on while passing through? I need some suggestions....well, besides EVERYTHING!

:mug:

I'm from north Germany and my favorites are Jever and Flensburger. Which are usually only available up north as far as I know.

Lots of regional breweries around that only distribute locally. Along with the national brands.

My advice is to try whatever try have locally to whatever are you will be in.

Yeah,I forgot that in Germany you order by style,not brand. So you'll have to see if the local pub has the style you're looking for.

If you are going to Ramstein stop over at the Belgian detachment, they sell cases of Belgain beer there. I'd take a case of Orval over anything brewed in Germany.

If you are going to be at Edelweiss for R&R the do a brewery tour of a local brewery out there once a week. It's pretty cool maybe you will luck out and be there at the right time.

Get some Kostrizer (schwarzbier) and some cheap Chimay (belgian ale). Stay away from Bitburger. Paint thinner stuff makes Miller Light seem enjoyable.

I really enjoy Warsteiner on tap, but I got into that before I got into beer, so I'm biased. Fresh Weihenstephaner, too.

Be on the look out for some good beer cheeses and don't miss the white asparagus if it's in season.

Really depends on which part of Germany you are visiting. I do like Kölsh and Dortmunders from up North. I do however like the southern Weisen (wheet)biers. Half of my family is from Stuttgart.

beerloaf

Look for a good brauhaus in the town you visit, and they'll provide you with great food, good company, and excellent beer. Sorry you don't like wheat, because it is very popular.

I would focus on the regional styles that are hard to get authentic versions of here in the US.

Definitely Dusseldorf for Altbier, Koln for Kolsch, and Berlin for Berlinerweisse. Bamberg for the Rauchbier and others, and then Munich for lots of stuff.

Drink what is regional. If you are in Dusseldorf and order a Kolsch you are liable to get tossed out on your ass or at minimum made fun of by the staff and locals.

Beer is good everywhere in Germany. It really isn't exaggerated. Get the local beer style by a local brewery and enjoy the crap out of it.

Get an Erdinger while it is still fresh...it is SO much better than imported...

Thanks guys, I think regional it is....and whatever extra I can get my hands on. Pretty excited to try this stuff fresh, and not imported.

-Ben

Much like everyone else said, try to get whatever you can get regionally. In Frankfurt most places will have a pilsener on tap and hefeweizen and sometimes a dark (dunkel) beer. Check out the markets, grocery stores, most have a good selection of beers from around Germany. Try as many as you can while you are here. And when in Frankfurt make sure you try some Applewine, thats the big drink here.

I'm not positive what they have around Ramstein, but I would imagine being close to the base they should have a good selection of stuff from around Germany and probably some Belgian imports as well.

Thanks for the tips, it'll be hard to convince some of my non beer nerd friends to find the good stuff...

Back