What would you call it ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharknado2

Reaction score
Hi HBT!!, first post here after several years of intensive watching haha. SO I brewed the next simple recipe with some leftovers I had and really really enjoyed it. What kind of beer category would you say it falls into?

1 Gal.

Maris otter 2 Lb.
Vienna malt 1 Lb.
Caraaroma 2 Lb.
O.16 oz EK Goldings @ 60 min.
0.09 oz EK Goldings @ 30 min.
0.14 oz EK Goldings @ 5 min.

Yeast: w34/70

Mash: 8 min 143 F
30 min 151 F
Boil: 60 min.
Ferm. Temp @ 50 F 20 days
Diacetyl rest @ 60 F 5 days. Cold crash.

Here is a pick. I liked bc it's malty, not heavy like a stout or a bock and it's a lagger that goes down quite easy.

Attachments

• 20200604_171104.jpg
    20200604_171104.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Yup, a dark lager with English hops and base malt. Dunkel something or other. Wonder what your FG was with all that Caraaroma? But good is good. I like that particular malt.

Is that a typo, or did you really use 2 pounds of caraAroma? That’s, well, a lot. But if you like it, that’s awesome.
Yes it is 2 Lb. I just wanted a beer with a lot of "the good stuff" and I wasn't disapointed. I don't think caraaroma is cloying sweet like others caramel malts.

I ran your recipe through Brewer's Friend, and it has no idea what you brewed either!

OG: 1.127
FG: 1.019
ABV: 16.19%!
IBU: 15.18
SRM: 50 (i.e., maxed-out)

Maybe the 30-minute mash changes that up, due to incomplete conversion?

I'm still having problems wrapping my head around that much CaraAroma.

I ran your recipe through Brewer's Friend, and it has no idea what you brewed either!

OG: 1.127
FG: 1.019
ABV: 16.19%!
IBU: 15.18
SRM: 50 (i.e., maxed-out)

Maybe the 30-minute mash changes that up, due to incomplete conversion?

I'm still having problems wrapping my head around that much CaraAroma.
You know what you're right. Since everyone pointed out the odd numbers in this recipe I went back to my brew log and the quantities are correct. And I had an OG of 1.054 !!. I didn't paid it a lot of attention back then since it was a "let's see what happens batch".
I remember that since that was a lot of grain it didn't fit very well in my MT and I always make batch sparge so I guess I had an extremely poor efficiency.

It looks like in my eagerness to make a very high gravity beer I ended up making a regular one.

But I guess the malt proportios could still hold true?

The beer was good tho.

When your name is Sharnado, you don’t limp into anything that might seem unreasonable to others. You brew like, well...a chaos fueled convective sharknado storm!

When your name is Sharnado, you don’t limp into anything that might seem unreasonable to others. You brew like, well...a chaos fueled convective sharknado storm!
Honestly yes. I believe the most you twist and fail in something the better you get. Now days when I want to learn something I focus on doing it wrong as many times it's possible and I don't give an f about what other people think.

Deliberately failure it's a very usuefull

Back