What would be your ideal LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL it had been two hours man.

My ideal LHBS is called Atlantic Brew Supply.

I was getting antsy. Plus it was super busy in the store so I thought it was a lot longer. Oh well, guess it's time for a homebrew

Don't act like you know more about brewing than your customers.

Don't clearly overprice sh*t. We all know how to use the internet.

Don't fill up extra space with cheesy products that will never sell in 20 years.

Don't try to push or promote brand X to me when I ask for brand Y.

Don't hound me and watch me like a hawk when I'm trying to browse and brainstorm - I want to be left alone.

Do list all of your products and prices on your website. This makes a shopping day easy to plan.

Do list your opening hours and any exceptions on your website.

Do have the prices of all of your products clearly marked - don't make me ask because I might not believe that you tell the same price to everyone.

Do not hire booth-babes to work in the store. SWMBO doesn't take too kindly to this sort of marketing tactic.

My lhbs is 2.5 hours away...
Arctic Brewing, yay. I buy 50# 2 row for $80. I only buy specialty grains by the recipe. They have a scale at the register, so no worries about the honor system. As a noob, I enjoy bagging my own grains. They sometimes don't have the hops I want, but they help pick a replacement. Being in Alaska, we do pay more for items... I just wish they were closer. I sure don't want to move to Anchorage.

My lhbs is 2.5 hours away...
Arctic Brewing, yay. I buy 50# 2 row for $80. I only buy specialty grains by the recipe. They have a scale at the register, so no worries about the honor system. As a noob, I enjoy bagging my own grains. They sometimes don't have the hops I want, but they help pick a replacement. Being in Alaska, we do pay more for items... I just wish they were closer. I sure don't want to move to Anchorage.

Whoa! $80 for 2-row? Sorry bud. I love Alaska though, can't wait to go back.

So far I'm loving this feedback. Particularly the grain club/punch card idea. Please keep it coming!

I can't tell you how much I love the grain punch card idea...I've just about completed my plan to store bulk and mill at home, but if my local offered this I may have skipped that plan.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been listed is that I love that my local will sell yeast that is getting older (by no means old yet) for 50% off. I love this and often build a recipe around what yeast was marked down which can be fun.

#1 pet peeve, non-self serve yeast. I'd like to see the date on the package before I decide on it. It gives me a chance to decide on whether the viability is acceptable enough with no pressure. I will gladly pay 50% more for yeast (since it's only one pack per batch anyway) if I know it's always within a month old...ok maybe 2 months for the more unpopular strains. 3 month old plus.... no thanks. I know I can grow it up but most places around here are closed sun-tue, so by the time I fill my recipe for the weekend I don't have time to step up older yeast.

#2 Give me a good deal on bulk grains and I won't care so much about how much I pay by the ounce or pound for specialty malts.

#3 Have a good selection of grains and hops. I know it's hard to keep a wide selection in stock and fresh but...if I have to go online to find a malt or hop i'm very likely to get the whole recipe their since i'm paying flat rate shipping anyway. Discount stuff as it gets older. I'll pay a bit more for the convenience of buying local and knowing it will be there. If I see that a certain hop or grain is discounted (not because it's super old but because you want to move it before it gets there) I am very likely to consider incorporating it into a recipe.

#4 I want to see dates on the hops. Especially with the more unique hops that may not be requested often. A year or two old doesn't mean I won't buy it, I just want to know (and be able to accurately estimate alpha acid loss in beersmith). Charge me 3-4 bucks per ounce but also give me a good deal on pounds. This way I can try new hops or buy a little at a time for lightly hopped recipes but also not get screwed when I want to make a DIPA.

#5 If I come in with an idea and say how can I make this work, don't try to steer me off course with "that's not to style" or "it's not done like that" or "that wont work". It's my recipe. It may turn out crappy but I sure as **** will learn from it. LET ME MAKE MISTAKES.Help me to do what it is I want to do.

#6 If my beer sucks, tell me! I get that it's important to point out the good parts of a poor beer and not just say this is terrible. Most of the people who drink our beer are family and friends, of course they tell us it's great....and we begin to doubt their feedback. I'm bringing my beer in for an honest evaluation. If it's a hop bomb, tell me. Too much crystal, same. I bring it in because I want a no holds barred opinion from someone who knows beer.

#7 Please don't try to sub something you don't carry as if it's the same thing.

#8 Foster a hang out kind of feel. I know that most days I can walk in with a beer and just shoot the ****. Many other people come by for an odd ingredient and hang out a bit too. Most bring a beer. It's great to share yours and try others. My LHBS is awesome for this. Guy is super cool, doesn't matter if he cracks one of his own special brews and 12 people walk in, everyone gets a sip even of he doesn't know them. If he has a friend there that brings a special/rare beer to share with the owner and you walk in, you get a pour. Everyone is made to feel part of the inner circle.

#9 You are a business person who loves beer, I don't expect you to be all knowing brew god. If you don't know, say so! We can learn it or work it out together then! The more I get the sense that you are willing to say i don't know when you don't, the more I trust your expertise when you do know definitively.

These are generalities mixed from a few LHBS in my area and not a reference to any specific one.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been listed is that I love that my local will sell yeast that is getting older (by no means old yet) for 50% off. I love this and often build a recipe around what yeast was marked down which can be fun.

How do they display the old yeast? My refrigerator situation is tough because the yeast fridge is in back for employees only to keep it organized and that's where it fits. Do they keep a list out or something? I like the idea, before I just did a crazy experiment with it, see: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6777333#post6777333

good variety of brands ..grains/yeast/hops..friendly staff who can offer assistance..no overpriced delivery costs.and these day's online presence that's updated on a regular basis.

#1 pet peeve, non-self serve yeast. I'd like to see the date on the package before I decide on it. It gives me a chance to decide on whether the viability is acceptable enough with no pressure. I will gladly pay 50% more for yeast (since it's only one pack per batch anyway) if I know it's always within a month old...ok maybe 2 months for the more unpopular strains. 3 month old plus.... no thanks. I know I can grow it up but most places around here are closed sun-tue, so by the time I fill my recipe for the weekend I don't have time to step up older yeast.

#2 Give me a good deal on bulk grains and I won't care so much about how much I pay by the ounce or pound for specialty malts.

#3 Have a good selection of grains and hops. I know it's hard to keep a wide selection in stock and fresh but...if I have to go online to find a malt or hop i'm very likely to get the whole recipe their since i'm paying flat rate shipping anyway. Discount stuff as it gets older. I'll pay a bit more for the convenience of buying local and knowing it will be there. If I see that a certain hop or grain is discounted (not because it's super old but because you want to move it before it gets there) I am very likely to consider incorporating it into a recipe.

#4 I want to see dates on the hops. Especially with the more unique hops that may not be requested often. A year or two old doesn't mean I won't buy it, I just want to know (and be able to accurately estimate alpha acid loss in beersmith). Charge me 3-4 bucks per ounce but also give me a good deal on pounds. This way I can try new hops or buy a little at a time for lightly hopped recipes but also not get screwed when I want to make a DIPA.

#5 If I come in with an idea and say how can I make this work, don't try to steer me off course with "that's not to style" or "it's not done like that" or "that wont work". It's my recipe. It may turn out crappy but I sure as **** will learn from it. LET ME MAKE MISTAKES.Help me to do what it is I want to do.

#6 If my beer sucks, tell me! I get that it's important to point out the good parts of a poor beer and not just say this is terrible. Most of the people who drink our beer are family and friends, of course they tell us it's great....and we begin to doubt their feedback. I'm bringing my beer in for an honest evaluation. If it's a hop bomb, tell me. Too much crystal, same. I bring it in because I want a no holds barred opinion from someone who knows beer.

#7 Please don't try to sub something you don't carry as if it's the same thing.

#8 Foster a hang out kind of feel. I know that most days I can walk in with a beer and just shoot the ****. Many other people come by for an odd ingredient and hang out a bit too. Most bring a beer. It's great to share yours and try others. My LHBS is awesome for this. Guy is super cool, doesn't matter if he cracks one of his own special brews and 12 people walk in, everyone gets a sip even of he doesn't know them. If he has a friend there that brings a special/rare beer to share with the owner and you walk in, you get a pour. Everyone is made to feel part of the inner circle.

#9 You are a business person who loves beer, I don't expect you to be all knowing brew god. If you don't know, say so! We can learn it or work it out together then! The more I get the sense that you are willing to say i don't know when you don't, the more I trust your expertise when you do know definitively.

These are generalities mixed from a few LHBS in my area and not a reference to any specific one.

This is awesome feedback. I think for the most part I meet your criteria, except for the yeast fridge. That's a geographic and organizational issue, but if what you ask for is old I tell you, no BS and no pressure. I'd rather do that than have the yeast get all mixed up so you spend forever searching. As for sampling/sharing, I employ the same beer. If I get to try a beer, everyone gets to try that beer. I know about 75-80% of my customers by name so we're all friends, and if I don't know your name yet I will by the end of the beer.

Dates on the hops is an interesting idea but I don't see how it's possible because none of the suppliers put dates on their hops. This time of year in particular is hard because the 2014 hops were just released, so they're being phased in as the 2013 crop runs out. I honestly have no idea what I'm getting so I don't want to make it up and lie

I have a pretty biased view -- reading through these comments, there's a lot of things our LHBS does right. They obviously don't bother me, so...

But, the one thing that's super nice is consistent selection. It's great to have a huge selection. It's especially great for someone to come in and expect that you'll have a particular product from one visit to the next. (Otherwise, planning is hard.) This goes for malt, hops, yeast, chemistry, everything.

A new shop just opened at about the same distance from my old shop. The new shop is very well stocked, clean, and the owner seems like a good guy. The old shop is in a sketch area, poorly lit, decently stocked, and has an foul mouthed grump (who is really is nice once you know him) running it. The new store charges about $.70 more per lb of 2row and $1.25/lb for crystal malts. Take a guess where I go.

Sud, you are going to have one awesome store if you implement these great thoughts! I hear everyone saying competitive prices, that's subjective. On line isn't always cheaper with shipping, and if you really want to support the local guy, 20-25% is reasonable.

What I like from my LHBS- Hops by the pound (most varieties within 10% to on line), good stock, generally fresh yeast (please don't tell me yeast is fine even at 6 mos, please!), recipe grains they sell by any increment, grain sacks, homebrew club (even if I don't belong / attend I think of going and likely will some day), hop rhizomes, friendly staff, brew kits they've put together for new brewers- extract with steeping grains- good instructions. What I don't like- their homebrew (how is it possible its not good?), not imaginative, such as customer loyalty programs, some employees condescending comments (train them well!).

What I'd like to see- customer loyalty programs, diy corner, used equipment sales program (buyback other's equipment and re-sell), I received a SS conical for a present, but if I were buying one myself I might consider a refurbished one that I could see in your store- why let ebay have all this business? Call this corner of your store an Eco friendly zone. Help keep items in use and out of the landfill! (I have no idea if this will catch on, just a crazy thought!). I'd also like the store to participate in group buys, but haven't considered the economic impacts, so this is just due to the impressive savings ~$16 per sack cheaper than LHBS. I am torn on this, the store I will pick up from (1st time) is a bit away, so will spend pickup day in Philly to not waste the trip. I feel like I'm cheating on my LHBS.

You are in an increasingly tough environment with the internet and the published price lists, I wish you the best of luck and wish others realize its important to support local stores. I don't buy much on line, like to support the local guy, and not just homebrew stores!

Sud, you are going to have one awesome store if you implement these great thoughts! I hear everyone saying competitive prices, that's subjective. On line isn't always cheaper with shipping, and if you really want to support the local guy, 20-25% is reasonable.

What I like from my LHBS- Hops by the pound (most varieties within 10% to on line), good stock, generally fresh yeast (please don't tell me yeast is fine even at 6 mos, please!), recipe grains they sell by any increment, grain sacks, homebrew club (even if I don't belong / attend I think of going and likely will some day), hop rhizomes, friendly staff, brew kits they've put together for new brewers- extract with steeping grains- good instructions. What I don't like- their homebrew (how is it possible its not good?), not imaginative, such as customer loyalty programs, some employees condescending comments (train them well!).

What I'd like to see- customer loyalty programs, diy corner, used equipment sales program (buyback other's equipment and re-sell), I received a SS conical for a present, but if I were buying one myself I might consider a refurbished one that I could see in your store- why let ebay have all this business? Call this corner of your store an Eco friendly zone. Help keep items in use and out of the landfill! (I have no idea if this will catch on, just a crazy thought!). I'd also like the store to participate in group buys, but haven't considered the economic impacts, so this is just due to the impressive savings ~$16 per sack cheaper than LHBS. I am torn on this, the store I will pick up from (1st time) is a bit away, so will spend pickup day in Philly to not waste the trip. I feel like I'm cheating on my LHBS.

You are in an increasingly tough environment with the internet and the published price lists, I wish you the best of luck and wish others realize its important to support local stores. I don't buy much on line, like to support the local guy, and not just homebrew stores!

Thanks! I'm working on pound pricing for hops, but it won't be a reality til my contracts kick in next year. Still working on the spot market so there's hope for this year. We do have a fledgling club and I can't wait to see what the members do with it. It isn't part of the store, it's its own thing and our members rule! I offer super cheap grain buys in conjunction with my restocks, it's all about poundage and I want to extend the discount to my awesome customers especially if it helps drive my prices down. A reselling corner seems cool too but I'd rather do that through the club because at the end of the day I'm still trying to sell equipment too. I try to keep a huge variety of ingredients in stock, and if I'm out of something it will only be for a week max. I know most of my customers by name and we're all buddies. You folks are all awesome and I really appreciate the feedback. I want to make my shop even better and this is a great start!

I have 3 stores reasonably close....1 is clean and has a moderate selection of bulk grains, but beer is just a part of what they offer and prices are " clean carpeted store" ...close to work so I go occasionally....the second is cheaper ... An online retailer that has a storefront. Prices are good, quite good, but not posted and sometimes I think the sales guys don't get them right....they have grains by the package only....I go there for sales ( good sales) and to stock up on extract... Store #3 gets most of my business they are well known locally, and have more of a stockroom ( yet comfortable feel)...prices are fair but they have a great bulk grain selection -- they weigh and grind it- and offer classes and well seasoned staff...always a great yeast and hops selection...great turnover.

In regards to the "honor sysyem" to help reduce some loss why don't you keep a scale at the register to confirm a total weight and if it doesn't total right just charge them the most expensive grain you carry for the difference.

I guess I'm pretty happy with my shop. Prices are reasonable, competitive with the online stores, and then shipping makes it cheaper. Selection is good. Not as good as the online guys, but good. And then I've never had a problem customer service-wise, although I know that others have.

As far as complaints, I like to use some particular ingredients because I like the character. Some of them are less-than-popular hops, and then specific grains from specific maltsters over the same grain from other maltsters.

Now, it's me being really picky, but I'd really like to able to buy, say, English Challenger by the pound, instead of the ounce, but they just don't stock it. Of course, the mainstays (Cascade, Centennial, EKG, Tettenanger, etc, plus a whole bunch of more popular hops) they do stock by the pound, and I buy them as such. But it's the hidden gems (because I really do love Challenger) that are by the ounce only, and work out to cost twice as much.

I also grew to love almost every Weyermann malt. Consistently good quality. However, they've stopped carrying all the smaller bags of most Weyermann specialty grains, and replaced them with another German maltser I find to be inferior. I can still buy Weyermann base malts by the 55lb sack, so that's not an issue, but I can't justify trying to get 55lbs of Weyerann Caramunich III.

So, my point is, I doubt you'd be able to compete with the online guys here, but selection selection selection, and in varying quantities. I don't personally care about ordering an exact grain bill, although I see why others do. I'd actually like to be able to order specialty malts pre-packaged somewhere in between 1 lb and 55 lb (say, a 10 lb bag). I could easily justify buying 10 lbs at a time of Crisp Crystal 45L, because I use it so much. But not enough to justify a full sack. And buying in actual loose bulk is a hassle, and they usually don't have the malts I want available to do it that way anyway.

So yeah. Sorry for the rant, but that's my opinion.

Hmm. You raise a good point. But how am I to know which maltster you prefer? As for weyermann, I love their malt, but since it's not part of the country malt group it's hard for me to order by the pallet. Basically, my choices for grain are BSG (Brewers Supply Group, formerly Crosby & Baker) or CMG (The Country Malt Group, heavy hitters in the grain world) and LD Carlson as a distant and shockingly overpriced third option. For now I rely on a pallet a month from Country Malt, but I'd love to start working other sources into the mix. It all depends on growth and what my customers prefer. So far Best Malz seems to be an acceptable substitute for weyermann, but as soon as that changes I will change my buying practices. I can't order everything from everyone, wish I could, I'm just not there yet

Hmm. You raise a good point. But how am I to know which maltster you prefer? As for weyermann, I love their malt, but since it's not part of the country malt group it's hard for me to order by the pallet. Basically, my choices for grain are BSG (Brewers Supply Group, formerly Crosby & Baker) or CMG (The Country Malt Group, heavy hitters in the grain world) and LD Carlson as a distant and shockingly overpriced third option. For now I rely on a pallet a month from Country Malt, but I'd love to start working other sources into the mix. It all depends on growth and what my customers prefer. So far Best Malz seems to be an acceptable substitute for weyermann, but as soon as that changes I will change my buying practices. I can't order everything from everyone, wish I could, I'm just not there yet

My point, as impractical as it is, is to stock them all. ;)

Or at least a variety and ability to special order.

I like that mine knows my name. But since my actual name is Brewer I bet it's kinda easy for them.
4ce11.jpg

I like that mine knows my name. But since my actual name is Brewer I bet it's kinda easy for them.
4ce11.jpg

That too. It's nice when they know the regulars and treat them as such.

Been a few times where my shop.is busy, there's a backup to be rung up, and the owner has dropped what he was doing to ring me up immediately.

Sorry to the guys who pop in for a kit 4 times a year, but call it a perk of dropping a couple hundred bucks a month there.

Also, a rewards system would.be awesome if it hasn't been mentioned already. Seems every time i go in there i qualify for $50 off my order.

Been a few times where my shop.is busy, there's a backup to be rung up, and the owner has dropped what he was doing to ring me up immediately.

Sorry to the guys who pop in for a kit 4 times a year, but call it a perk of dropping a couple hundred bucks a month there.

If that happened to me while I was in line, that would be the very last time I would ever patronise said business.

It should be banned in airports as well.

Having an LHBS in the first place would be a huge plus, but if I could create an ideal LHBS, some of the key points would be:

* Knowledgeable staff of homebrewers.
* Reasonably-priced, fresh ingredients.
* All the basic small stuff in stock - sanitizer, tubing, fermenters, airlocks, etc.
* Big or specialty equipment in stock or available to order.
* Active in the local homebrew scene.
* Regular brew lesson/sessions for customers/potential homebrewers.
* Hops always vacuum sealed for freshness.
* Liquid yeast (seems like a no-brainer, but we're imagining an LHBS in China right now, where liquid yeast is virtually nonexistent).

Other nice things that would go beyond the basics:

* A homebrew bar area where customers and staff can enjoy homebrew (BYO or in-house) for critiquing/troubleshooting/checking out different glassware/getting totally s**tfaced.
* Organizing group buys.
* Delivery.
* Made-to-order kits from in-house recipes or your own recipes.
* A fairly comprehensive set of tools for homebrewers to DIY their equipment or reasonably-priced in-house equipment modification services for morons like me who have never even used a Dremel, much less a welding torch.
* A nice brew rig that homebrewers can arrange to use for personal brewing in-house.

Those are probably a good start.

If that happened to me while I was in line, that would be the very last time I would ever patronise said business.

It should be banned in airports as well.

Not so much cutting in line, but opening up an additional register for me. Which I suppose is the same eventual thing in a sense, but I do notice a distinction.

I can see why you'd say that. But it's no different than what happens if they open a different line at the grocery store, or really anywhere else (and this line's never been near that long). So if you want to not patronize every business that does it, by all means.

My personal reasons why I stopped frequenting the LHBS in Madison:

- location and hours - very hard to get to, limited parking, open late one night a week (a quick review of their site though shows they have expanded their hours)

- expensive - was not even close to being competitive with online pricing including shipping

- employee attitude - there were several employees that I just did not enjoy talking to. They were smug and condescending when I asked questions about ingredients, equipment, etc. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

For me it is cheaper and usually faster to have stuff shipped from Ritebrew then going downtown Madison.

- employee attitude - there were several employees that I just did not enjoy talking to. They were smug and condescending when I asked questions about ingredients, equipment, etc. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

That's one that grinds my gears, no matter what kind of store.

There's another LHBS that I occasionally go to that has a few people like that. Hipster wannabes, with rock star attitudes. They're paid by the hour and don't own the place, so they couldn't care less if they piss off customers.

This is a specialized, niche business, with a very select customer base. It's not like Walmart or Home Depot. Every customer counts and the ones who are rubbed the wrong way are often the ones who talk about it online.

I love my local shop. Thomas Creek, in greenville sc. They can come off as unprofessional or intimidating to the first time shopper/newby, due to being an operating brewery, however this is a big advantage. The owner is very knowledgeable but doesn't have a lot of time for lengthy conversation, but that's ok by me. Other may not find it as helpful.

They will sell grain in bulk (very good prices due to being a brewery), and will let you email your order and bag or crack your grain to order. Hops can be gotten for better prices online, but are not overpriced at all.

If you need more help The best time to stop by is after 5:00 when the tasting room is in full swing, and they have more staff dedicated to one on one customer interaction

As far as pulling, weighing and milling your own grains as opposed to the shop worker doing it for you... I kinda like the hands on approach of doing it myself. Maybe I'm paranoid, but, to me, there's an added element of mystery when you don't do it yourself. I'm sure most LHBS owners/workers are to be trusted, especially @sudbuddy, but I guess I just feel a bit more comfortable seeing the name of the grain on the bin and then scooping it myself. Yeah.. I'm probably paranoid.

That is awesome! Earlier in this thread someone mentioned a similar program at their LHBS and I was trying to figure out a way to implement it in mine. Now I can rip off this punch card idea and make everybody happy. Thanks!

No problem! Here is more detailed info about the punch card. There is a little square where the guy writes how much i spent for each batch and initials it (No actual punching of the card). Then when i have 10 "punches" he can average the cost of all 10 batches and give me a free batch up to that amount. That way someone can't buy ten 5 gallon batches and then get a 10 gallon batch for free or something. It seems like a very fair way to do it.

I love my local shop. Thomas Creek, in greenville sc. They can come off as unprofessional or intimidating to the first time shopper/newby, due to being an operating brewery, however this is a big advantage. The owner is very knowledgeable but doesn't have a lot of time for lengthy conversation, but that's ok by me. Others may not find it as helpful, but I very much enjoy it. He is very direct with his help, which can seem "gruff," but is very willing to provide in depth advice when not in the middle of a brew house run.

They will sell grain in bulk (very good prices due to being a brewery), and will let you email your order and bag or crack your grain to order. Hops can be gotten for better prices online, but are not overpriced at all.

If you need more help The best time to stop by is after 5:00 when the tasting room is in full swing, and they have more staff dedicated to one on one customer interaction. Retail items such as parts is good, but not well displayed. The other "non expert," staff knows the inventory well, and can get anything they don't have within a day or two.

No problem! Here is more detailed info about the punch card. There is a little square where the guy writes how much i spent for each batch and initials it (No actual punching of the card). Then when i have 10 "punches" he can average the cost of all 10 batches and give me a free batch up to that amount. That way someone can't buy ten 5 gallon batches and then get a 10 gallon batch for free or something. It seems like a very fair way to do it.

That seems like a really smart way to do it, I like it. Definitely going to start planning on implementing it tomorrow

Talking in general, attitude is very critical to any local establishment. People will pay more online then deal with a local place if they feel marginalized when they go there, even once. I don't care how small a purchase is, treat them like they belong there every time. Very much dislike specialty shops having a clique vibe when you want to shop there.

Bulk deals are nice.
Quality mill for milling on site. Motorized is even better (cranking by hand sucks)
Selection that is well layed out, easy to locate things.
Knowledgable friendly staff (has encouraged many an impulse buy on my part)
The CO2 refills/exchanges are great (Some fill shops provide better pricing for larger tanks, even a dollar off the fill is nice)
Location and hours. My local is closed on Sundays and Mondays, which I understand, but I always seem to need something on those days. They also close at 6pm which can be inconvenient for a midweek supply run. Once again I understand the need to have a life outside the shop.
Possibly being group buy friendly or maybe even organize one (sure it cuts into your bottom line so probably not too feasible to set up yourself).
Definitely have your prices clearly labeled.
Try to avoid rationing/limiting amounts for hard to find ingredients (when it happens)

Some things that would be nice if legal or not prohibitive(cost, hassle, etc)
Tastings of HB
Brewing clinics or maybe even a location to do group brews on a few nice weekends in the summer

Some other that folks have mentioned and some of my own personals:

- Easy to find and get to. It does not have to be next door, just don't put it in a poorly branded strip mall or warehouse with no signage so I am guessing where you are.
- Keep a well stocked store ingredients wise.
- Fresh Yeast kept in a fridge-> Discount older yeast as I will buy it at a discount and give it a shot if its a week or 2 out of date.
- Stock quality SS fittings and parts. This helps when retrofitting or refitting a pot and you need an x NPT fitting quickly.
- Honestly, I would also start stocking core e-brew parts as this seems to be gaining ground(I know I went down this road myself). Elements, PIDS, a few DIY panel kits, etc.
- Stock cheap pots as well as the higher priced ones. I would love to have the option to go cheaper if I choose or need an experiment pot.
- Well stocked hops supply(in the fridge as well for freshness).
- A shelf with some of the core brewing books and the latest BYO mag for sale.
- Kegs/Co2 Swap-Outs
- Discount on bulk grain buys
- Membership program - This should allow me to do stuff like buy 10 kits and get one free or a 10% discount on my purchases by being a member. Makes me feel special and keeps me coming back for the discounts
- A true love and core knowledge of the hobby..this is the attitude one
- Decent prices..I am not asking for free or a giveaway, just dont bend me over for something I can get somewhere else for $20 less. I will go the cheaper road if its like for like product.
- A "Brew Day Saturday" monthly program..I would love to go to the homebrew store to meet up with others for a monthly or bi-monthly brew day event to meet new/old folks. It will also get me to buy stuff if you offer an additional discount that day of the month.

I think I see a basic trend of 4 common things:

Offer bulk pricing and be reasonable on smaller consumables
Offer a selection of slower moving non-perishables and do not be afraid to price them accordingly (small parts for kegs)
Have courteous, engaging and attentive staff
Offer some method of kitting grains and grinding on site that is not a pain for the customer

All the others seem to touch one of 3 areas but the specifics are all over the place:

Location and hours
Repeat purchase incentives
Consistent stock that is as fresh as reasonable

I have to say, if my LHBS had this type of attitude/stock/Incetives/buying process I would spend more time and money there. As it is, I find myself spending more each month there than I did in the past because the owner is one of those guys that is helpful, knowledgeable and engaging. His bulk prices are very reasonable, his yeast and hops as well but his specialty grains are all pre-packages Carlson. In truth, he does a lot with only one 12' aisle for homebrew and the rest of the store devoted to hydroponics.

Back