what went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
I just kegged my first attempt at pumkin beer in all grain format. It has little spice taste, in fact does not have much beer taste at all. I did not get good sg at final. Any ideas what went wrong and can I do any thing to salvage it.

I've been patiently waiting for my pumpkin ale to shape out as well. Its been in the bottle for about 5 or 6 weeks and is still taking some time to carbonate fully and really develop a balanced flavor. I think its all of the pumpkin and spices that take a WHILE to mellow out! I also brewed this batch with straight hose water, and think it had an ill-effect to the taste, but I'm still crossing my fingers that by Thanksgiving it will be much better. Primary was about 3 weeks, secondary for 2. How long do most people find its best to bottle condition pumpkin ales? Around 2 months? That's why I didn't even want to keg it, I knew it would take a while to mellow, and also didn't want it to gunk up my keg/lines.

Back