What was your Gatewaybeer to craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete's Wicked Ale

Thanks! I think I may have mentioned Pete's in a later post myself. That was still back in the day when I mostly drank Bud Light. But I would splurge and buy Pete's or Shiner Bock when I could justify paying a few extra bucks, because both were always available in the grocery store.

Shiner Bock on draft at a local sports bar was the beer that got me curious as to what else was out there.

Also Shiner Bock. That was the final push, anyway. Before that, I admit, I would sometimes buy beers based on snazzy looking bottles and cans.

First beer I ever had was a guinness at the factory in Ireland...never looked back at my non beer life

Back in college a roommate bought a 12 pack sampler of Great Lakes Brewing Company. I believe it contained Edmond Fitzgerald, Holy Moses, Elliot Ness, and Dortmunder Gold. He had one Edmond Fitzgerald and gave up on the entire sampler and gave me the rest. To this day I'm pretty sure he considers PBR to be an upscale beer. After that sampler pack I went out and bought a sixer of Commodore Perry which started an IPA obsession that is still going to this day.

I used to drink the standard Bud Light beers, but I lived in Germany for a while and grew to love pilsners. After that, my first craft beer was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and that really opened my tastebuds to every type of beer. Well, almost every type. I still don't love sours, and probably never will.

Hey Yooper, where were you in Germany?

I started to brew beer because even though there are the best beers ever in Germany, I still wanted a nice Mexican beer, or shiner bock ruby red bird in the summer months here. After that, it has pretty much consumed my life.

Hey Yooper, where were you in Germany?

I started to brew beer because even though there are the best beers ever in Germany, I still wanted a nice Mexican beer, or shiner bock ruby red bird in the summer months here. After that, it has pretty much consumed my life.

I lived in Frankfurt in the early 80s- long time ago!

Had a housemate in college whose favorite beers were always in the house: Trois Pistoles and Hennepin. He would always share and I was hooked. I guess that's why I love Belgians so much today.

FIL gave me a Hennepin about 12 yrs ago, then had a Southern Tier IPA

I assume that most of us didn’t start out drinking craft beer. If not, then what’s your story? Was there a moment or turning point that you remember when you decided that fizzy yellow beer or whatever you were drinking at the time just wasn’t going to cut it anymore?

One night in my late teens I was out drinking with some friends. We were drinking something cheap and disgusting; I think it was peach brandy, and some Budweiser beers. I got totally wasted and tossed my cookies. For several years after that night I could not stand to drink beer of any kind. When I entered college I was mostly drinking Canadian whiskey mixed with Squirt or Sour mixer. This went on for a couple years, after which I got tired of always taking a bottle to keggers and other parties. I finally discovered that I could stand to drink most kegged beer EXCEPT Budweiser, and that I could drink Miller High Life in the bottle. In fact, to this day, nearly 40 years after that night as a teen, I still cannot stand to drink regular Budweiser.

At that time I didn’t care for Miller Lite, but when Bud Light came out in the early 80’s, that became my beer of choice. By this time I had graduated college and moved to Texas where they had this odd, dark colored beer called Shiner Bock. I discovered that I liked it a whole lot better than any of the fizzy yellow beers, and I would drink it whenever it was available. So I would consider Shiner Bock to be my Gateway beer.

From there, I would try other dark beers like Dos Equis dark and Negro Modelo which I also liked. A blues bar I frequented had several non BMC beers on tap and I started drinking Full Sail Amber. From there I moved on to some really hearty beers like porters and brown ales. But I believe the day that I thought I had died and gone to heaven was around 2001 when I stopped into a hamburger joint in San Antonio with a huge bottle selection and decided to try a Salvatore doppelbock! Yum! That beer is a meal in itself, and to this day is probably still one of my top 5!

The most recent evolution in my beer taste occurred after my oldest son moved to California to attend college. I had been trying every different kind of beer that I could find for probably the last 10 years or so. I was familiar with IPAs and had tried a Dogfishhead one time and hated it. Around 2006 I flew out to Cali to visit my son, and he took me to a local microbrewery. He insisted that I try their IPA, and I insisted that I didn’t like them. But I would try it. Wow! It didn’t taste anything like Dogfishead. That was the day I discovered citrusy West Coast style IPAs, and beer drinking has never been the same since. He also introduced me to Stone IPA that visit, so if I could have a second Gateway beer, it would probably be Stone. Now I would say that about 3 out of every 4 beers that I drink is an IPA, APA, pale ale, or other hoppy beer.

All hail the mighty HOP!

Ca. 1991. My dad asked at a restaurant: "Do you have Samuel Adams?"

Having only been aware of BMC and such, I asked "What the heck is THAT?".

The rest is history.

I tried the BMC stuff in the late 80's and did not like it. Did not touch beer again till I was 26 when a friend bought a flight sampler at a local restaurant. I tried a couple and the light came on and the doors opened.

Till then I thought all beer was fizzy horse piss.

It's not really craft, but my first exposure to non-BMC was from my parents around 1990. They went to Europe for their 25th anniversary and started drinking Carlsberg and Elephant when they came back. I started drinking it too when I went to college. In economic terms, I was choosing the "normal" product vs an "inferior" product (e.g. Milwaukee's Best aka Beast). My econ professor used Budweiser as the normal product in class, but I knew better.

First true craft I remember having was Shepherd Neame ales while in England circa 2001. Probably had a Sam Adams or Red Hook before then, but it admittedly wasn't as eye-opening as Spitfire or Bishop's Finger.

Honestly - I always hated beer/macro. Then I found out you could make your own beer and I was vaguely aware that there were styles other than BMC.

So in a way - homebrew was my gateway to craft.

Now I can tolerate Coors Yellow Bellies, PBR and Schlitz.

I didn't get to any of those first before I did homebrew tho.

A German Pils you could buy in 5L minikegs. I can't quite remember the brand; I think it was Dinkelacker. Bought a couple of those when I was in high school. (yes, it was legal, I was 18) I don't know if that really counts, tho'. I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it. Or maybe it's not all that great for a German pilsner.

So the real answer was probably Pete's Wicked Ale or Shiner Bock a few years later. (this was way before the hipsters discovered Shiner Bock)

When I was like 19, I went to an older coworker’s barbecue. Up to that point, I’d only had Bud Light and possibly Coors Light. It was a BYOB party but because I was so young, I was at the mercy of others. Luckily, my buddy was kind enough to let me have a few of his. Unfortunately for me at the time, it was Stone IPA. I thought it was horrid! Yuck! What was this horrendous, bitter brew that all these people were drinking!? Needless to say, I didn’t finish it, found a corner and poured it into the grass.
Fast forward to a few months later. At a Christmas party, that same friend offered me the darkest sludge I’ve ever seen. It looked like a combination of motor oil and orc blood. It smelled strange and pungent. Turns out it was Old Rasputin. Different party, same situation. Found a lonely drain and poured it down! Blech!
For a while beers came and went. Three Philosophers, Delirium Tremens, and a variety of others met a similar fate.
A few years later, when I was 22, I started a band with a friend who was a craft beer enthusiast. After every band practice, we’d go to a bar in Whittier called “The Bottle Room”. There he introduced me to many beers that I wasn’t a big fan of, but were at least palatable. Over the course of a year, I got used to the complex variety of flavors in beer. He exposed me to different varieties of hops, malts and even yeasts that changed the flavor profile. I began to get a taste for it all. I began to crave it. Every week a new adventure.

The rest is history.

When I was like 19, I went to an older coworker’s barbecue. Up to that point, I’d only had Bud Light and possibly Coors Light. It was a BYOB party but because I was so young, I was at the mercy of others. Luckily, my buddy was kind enough to let me have a few of his. Unfortunately for me at the time, it was Stone IPA. I thought it was horrid! Yuck! What was this horrendous, bitter brew that all these people were drinking!? Needless to say, I didn’t finish it, found a corner and poured it into the grass.
Fast forward to a few months later. At a Christmas party, that same friend offered me the darkest sludge I’ve ever seen. It looked like a combination of motor oil and orc blood. It smelled strange and pungent. Turns out it was Old Rasputin. Different party, same situation. Found a lonely drain and poured it down! Blech!
For a while beers came and went. Three Philosophers, Delirium Tremens, and a variety of others met a similar fate.
A few years later, when I was 22, I started a band with a friend who was a craft beer enthusiast. After every band practice, we’d go to a bar in Whittier called “The Bottle Room”. There he introduced me to many beers that I wasn’t a big fan of, but were at least palatable. Over the course of a year, I got used to the complex variety of flavors in beer. He exposed me to different varieties of hops, malts and even yeasts that changed the flavor profile. I began to get a taste for it all. I began to crave it. Every week a new adventure.

The rest is history.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

My first duty station was in England in the late 90's. Shortly after I arrived there, some of the guys took me to a Belgian themed pub in Cambridge called the Hogshead and introduced me many English and Belgian beers one of which was Hoegaarden. I swear the stuff was magical back then and they must have changed the recipe. It had its own glorious tower, separate from all the others. I even ended up working at that pub part part time for a few months. When I started, I had to watch a training video specifically about how to pour a perfect pint of Hoegaarden.

Now, it doesn't taste anything like I remember it. I rarely, if ever drink that or any Belgian Wit. Still, I'm TimmyWit on HBT since she was my first.

My first duty station was in England in the late 90's. Shortly after I arrived there, some of the guys took me to a Belgian themed pub in Cambridge called the Hogshead and introduced me many English and Belgian beers one of which was Hoegaarden. I swear the stuff was magical back then and they must have changed the recipe. It had its own glorious tower, separate from all the others. I even ended up working at that pub part part time for a few months. When I started, I had to watch a training video specifically about how to pour a perfect pint of Hoegaarden.

Now, it doesn't taste anything like I remember it. I rarely, if ever drink that or any Belgian Wit. Still, I'm TimmyWit on HBT since she was my first.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. If you want my opinion, I don't think it's the recipe that has changed. (I think its a couple hundred years old!) It's your expanded tasting experiences. I have found the exact same thing to have happened. I mentioned Salvator in the OP. When I first tried it it seemed to be the nectar of the Gods. But I hadn't bought it in several years, and during that time I discovered many various styles that I had not tried before tasting Salvator, like sours, and imperial stouts, and I also became obsessed with anything and everything hoppy. So a few months ago I grabbed a sixer of Salvator, and surprisingly, was somewhat disappointed when I drank one. Still a very good dopplebock, but due to the evolution of my tastes, no longer anywhere close to a top 5 or 10 beer ever. In fact, a local micro brewery serves a dopplebock that I think is better!

For me it was the Belgian triples and strong always. The firsts were La Fin Du Monde (unibroue), Don De Dieu (unibroue), and final absolution (dragon mead- lived right down the road from them). A final absolution clone was the first beer I brewed..... Followed by LA fin du Monde. I was hooked!

Deschutes Mirror Pond. A Deschutes tin tacker hangs in my man cave because it got me started into craft brew and eventually into this hobby.

Last edited:
I love beer but always knew that fizzy yellow beer from BMC wasn't very good. My first beer ever was a New Castle Brown ale and I've loved beer ever since. I'd always be eager to try different kinds of beer whenever I'd dip into to pubs or the liquor store. Leinenkugels was a favorite for a long time.

Then I moved to the Czech Republic. Let me tell you I learned a lot about what beer is supposed to taste like. Pilsner urquell is fantastic here and I also really dig Kozel.

But it wasn't until I tried boucanneir red ale (Belgian) that I realized beer could have so much flavor. The craft beer scene started to explode in CZ and shortly after that I got into home brewing.

I used to wprk as a cook at Grizzly Peak, a local Ann Arbor brew pub. Our head brewer was Ron Jeffries, who went on to start Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales. His sours are world famous now, but back then he made a hell of a variety of everything else. Shift beers at the end of the night got me started drinking craft beer and also a wider variety of styles than a 1.50 pitcher of Coors Light or 9.99 30 pack of High Life.

When I was a yute, I drank a lot of Hini and other non BMC beers (ie Moosehead, Anchor steam), but then it got out of control and I quit for 30+ years. About 4 years ago at Christmas time there were a few Blue Moons in the fridge and I decided I really missed beer and I cracked the first beer in a looong time. After that the the top was off and I tried everything. I distinctly remember my first Arrogant Bastard, and thinking OMG this is awful. I had a good laugh when reading the "you are not worthy" write up on the label. The next aha moment was a bomber of Shallow Grave by Heretic Brewing, this was an explosion of flavor, malt, hops, sweet, a little bitter (wow). I have tried both of these since and the taste buds are far more used to these flavors and I actually enjoy AB and SG no longer is a wow. Still a great beer. My brother had been brewing beer for a long time so when I got back into beer I decided to stop by my local HBS and the owner agreed to teach me how to brew. That was about three years ago and have been brewing and drinking good/great beer ever since. Rock/brew on :mug: :D

For me it was the Belgian triples and strong always. The firsts were La Fin Du Monde (unibroue), Don De Dieu (unibroue), and final absolution (dragon mead- lived right down the road from them). A final absolution clone was the first beer I brewed..... Followed by LA fin du Monde. I was hooked!

Fin Du Monde and Don De Dieu were my first two top notch craft beers as well. Prior to the craft beer boom I had a friend in college. HE was one of those guys that loved all things craft/arthouse. His taste in film, music and food were impeccable looking back now and well beyond what anyone else in college was doing. I learned that his suggestions usually beared weight and noticed that every time he came over he would always bring his own bottle of something instead of the swill the rest of us would drink. He introduced me to Unibroue and although at first I didn't want to drink an entire bottle of the stuff, it was my first intro to really tasting beer. Since then I ramped into getting to know beer slowly on my own and man am I glad I did.

Harpoon UFO White at some kinda trashy bar in Boston. I was 21 at the time and had never seen or tasted anything like it. Not too proud to admit I ordered it because of the crazy tap handle lol. Harpoon ipa deserves a mention too. After that there are just too many good beer bars in and around Boston that drinking craft beer is the default, it's unusual to drink a macro.

Fat Tire a very long time ago. Had a buddy drive up to Colorado like in 2000 maybe. He came back with a couple cases of the stuff and I was hooked ever since

Fat Tire a very long time ago. Had a buddy drive up to Colorado like in 2000 maybe. He came back with a couple cases of the stuff and I was hooked ever since
It's a good one. My brother lived in Ft Collins for a long time, fell in love with New Belgium. I was super excited when they started distribution here this past year (Massachusetts).

Heineken Dark. In 1977. I remember being on spring break in Florida when I turned 18 and drove around 20 miles to find a store that carried it because I thought it was exotic.

My mom got me a Mr Beer(type) kit when i was 17-18. Wasn't really a gateway to craft beer though, because now i make all my own and only 'buy' alcohol every few years when i get bored. and want to make sure they know i drink on the radar.

Stone Arrogant Bastard I went in to get Heineken the name caught my eye the description telling me I was not worthy sold me on I had to try it, I realized I never had a good beer in my life at that point I was woke at first sip

While I have always leaned away from the macro brews and toward something with flavor, It was always something you could get at the rural stores surrounding me. My first real exposure was thru Four Hands Divided sky Rye IPA> So much flavor, So not like macro beer. OMG. This was BEER. Then I found Urban Chestnut and their german styled brews. This lead to an endless search for real beer and ultimately to brewing my own. Now I brew beers as good or better than the ones that inspired me. Stay off off the popular path and look for those regional brewers that are doing what they love. Its not about the business, its about the craft.

Stay off off the popular path and look for those regional brewers that are doing what they love. Its not about the business, its about the craft.
One of the best things about travel is the opportunity to sample local brews.

Long Trail Ale
Harp
Guiness
Sam Adams Boston Lager

BUT...started with Bud Light at quarter night Happy Hour. Got sick many times lol.

My gateway to craft beer? Trying to find something as good and fresh as my homebrew, the few times the pipeline dried up or needed more conditioning.

Just kidding, sort of..and it depends on how one defines craft beer. Anyway..

{; wow it's Monday already, and i was kind of bummed this morning when the clocks did not kick back, like they used to do after "all hallows eve".

Not that I approve of ''daylight savings'' mind you, am only in favor of setting clocks back...

Back