What was in my Chinese keg before I got it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Want2Brew

Master of None
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals I got a used keg that came from China. It sat around for a while because I did not need it. The other day I decided to clean it up and use it. When I opened it whatever was in it smelled like turpentine or maybe pine cleaner? All in all it was fairly clean inside and there was some slimy sludge growth in there so I assume that whatever was in the keg was of organic nature. Anyone have an idea of what this substance may have been?

Thank you for the reply GMB. Is this Chinese soda? Is the keg safe to use? I know I will have to replace all of the O-rings because they smell like the stuff in the keg. Should I replace the popular and the relief valve as well? Thanks again

FWIW I've had some used (domestic I assume) ball locks that had a similar smell. Could be ancient Mountain Dew or some other soda! I replace all the o-rings on used kegs regardless, I agree the poppets can stay unless they give you grief. PBW/Oxy soak, new seals, you'll be good to go.

I bought a used one that I didn't use for several months and when I cleaned it up I thought is smelled like pinesol. I cleaned up fine with oxy and there was no smell. Just clean it thoroughly and sanitize of course.

fwiw, in the course of acquiring my keg collection over ~14 years so many of them had that "Pine Sol" aroma that I assumed it was some kind of cleaner.
But I'm super OC about "new to me" gear so I scoured them all inside and out and replaced everything but the populars...

Cheers!

That Pine Sol smell is Mountain Dew and the dark sludge is probably Pepsi. We get used syrup barrels from the local bottling plant and it's amazing how strong they smell, even when empty.

Yep, Mountain Dew or something like Sprite. If it says 百事 somewhere on the keg, it was definitely Pepsi/Mountain Dew. Soak overnight, disassembled with really hot water and oxyclean, replace all the gaskets and you should be fine.

Back