What Type of Grain for Versatility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmacva

Reaction score
Noob All Grainer. I've have just started All Grain brewing. I have a really close Brew Store Near By. My question is I haven't settled on a favorite beer yet. I have been using recipes and going to the Home Brew Store and buying the individual grains for each recipe which is more expensive than I like? What in this forums great opinion would be one style of grain that i could buy in a 55 lbs bag to use as a base grain for recipes that would offer the most versatility for recipes? I can get my specialty grains as I need from the brew store until I decide on a brew that I would invest in bulk on the specialty grains. I just don't want to have 200lbs of grain sitting around for a particular style that might not be my favorite. Thanks in Advance.

Kazi

What in this forums great opinion would be one style of grain that i could buy in a 55 lbs bag to use as a base grain for recipes that would offer the most versatility for recipes?

Can't go wrong with a bag of 2-row or Maris Otter, since base malts are in just about everything.

I agree. If you plan on making mostly American beers, a sack of US 2-row will be used up pretty quickly. If you want to make mostly English style beers, a sack of Maris otter is the way to go.

I don't make wheat beers, but if you're a wheat beer love you may want to consider buying some wheat malt.

Do you have your own mill? If not, you don't want to buy the grain crushed too long in advance. Some homebrewstores let you buy the grain, and just use their crusher at the store when you're ready to brew and you can also pick up specialty grains at that time.

Another "me too" on regular 2-Row or Marris Otter. If you do a lot of Belgians or lagers or a few other things, a pilsener malt would be another option; you'd probably know if you wanted to go that route, though.

You can't make your wort lighter than your malt will allow. You can add specialty malts to make it darker, though. Just start with a light, cheap malt and build your recipes off of that.

2 row or MO of course (as the other many suggest), I just recently decided to get a 55 lb sack of munich, and a sack of vienna just to try them out.

Personally, I'm very excited about working with the vienna as a base malt. Also got a sack of wheat malt cause the wife likes wheat beers... but it's only a good base for, well, wheat beers.

I agree with the gang above, get a sack of 2-row or marris otter, I have 2-row in sacks, for recipes that call for MO I sub in some biscuit malt to get sorta close. maybe its time for a sack o MO!

"Can't go wrong with a bag of 2-row or Maris Otter, since base malts are in just about everything."

AGREED.....I still run to the store to get a lb of this or a few ounces of that....but I buy enough to brew back to back days.

Hey Thanks everybody for the replies. Looks like I'll be getting a sack each of 2 row and Marris otter since I and my wife both like European and American style beers. Looks like I can't go wrong. I don't have a grain mill yet but that will be coming soon.

Kazi, Can't brew fast enough because we keep drinking it.

Back