What to use as a weight for dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkausch

Reaction score
I've dry hopped for the first time, and I can't seem to get the hops to stop floating (I used whole flower cascade in a nylon reusable bag). I was trying to think of something to use as a weight in the bag, but didn't want to introduce any weird materials into my beer. Any suggestions?

I have heard marbles. I just let then float! They get water logged anyway and squishy.

I've only used whole hops ounce thought!

haven't dry hopped in the keg yet (planning to do it this weekend) but my lhbs gave me a little hop bag and some marbles. put marbles and hops into bag, they say, tie up with dental floss, tie dental floss to top of dip tube.

but i can't remember if they said waxed or unwaxed dental floss.

I do the same as grinder and just let them sit on top. My process when I dry hop is to first fill the secondary carboy first with the hops, then rack the beer on top of them. This way I'm pretty guaranteed all the hops have been exposed to the brew. I also use a 5 gallon secondary and darn near fill the entire carboy up to the point where the hops have no choice but to be submerged.

Hop sock with marbles should work fine. Personally I let them sit on top; gave a stir or two over time and as I recall they settled into the beer.

When I've done this in secondary I've just thrown em in. They seem to settle through the brew eventually. But for kegs, I think it'll be better to have them in a hop sock or something for easier cleaning. (But then again, oxyclean will get em out).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll probably give the marbles a shot, I think I have a few laying around (if only I hadn't lost them!)

I use marbles or a big SS nut and or some SS wahers.

I like to dry hop early and use the weight to sink the hops and hopefully minimize the O2 contact time.

I've read that when using marbles you can tie a string to the bag and suspend the hop bag in the center of the brew for better infusion.

The string can be held in place by taping it to the outside of the carboy before putting the airlock back in place.

Latest posts

Back