What to Put it In?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citrus

Reaction score
My AW is finally done fermenting and I need to know what to put it in. The first batch is pretty much going to be consumed in a holiday bash for thanksgiving, so I really dont want to find enough wine bottles for 5 gallons. I still would like it to be sealed (after 5 weeks should I throw in some campden to stop fermetning?)? any ideas?

if it were me, and i had the equipment to do so, i would keg it. but i dont. so....

i need to get on that!

Well, you could bottle it in beer bottles or even in growlers, depending on what you want to do. If it's going to be carbonated, you pretty much have to use beer bottles. If it's still, you can bottle in whatever you'd like. If you want, you could even put it in Carlo Rossi jugs, which are 4L. Just sanitize and go.

I don't know what you mean about adding campden to stop fermentation. You said it was stopped.

It is still going a little tiny bit but i want to get it out of the primary to start some more :). I was thinking those drinking water jugs like they have at the grocery store, i figure that will seal. should i take off the lid every once in a while to release the pressure in these?

I wouldn't do that. You really want to protect it from oxygen. You've spent alot of time and some money to do it, and you'd be risking the batch. I'd either rack it and leave it in secondary in the correct size carboy until you're ready to bottle, or leave it where it is. The water bottles are not necessarily able to keep out all oxygen and it wouldn't hold any pressure if it wasn't done fermenting.

Ok I will either leave it where it is or get another 5 gallon container to store it in. Just wondering, how much exposure to oxygen will kill the batch? The other 5 gallon contain I have is one used for water (not a better bottle like the primary), if i get a stopper and maybe an airlock for the time being will that work or could i just use the screw top that came with that?

i would totally spend the 18 dollars for a glass 5 gallon carboy if your looking to make room for a new batch

Wow I didn't realize how cheap the glass ones are. I have a Better Bottle and it was like $25 or 30

yea if you arent ordering them online and getting hit with shipping charges 5 gallon carboys arent that bad if you think about the use youll get out of them. i get them directly from Midwest Supplies warehouse here in minnesota and they are only like 18.50 or so.

Well I am off to the water supply store (same glass 5 gallon carboys), just cheaper than the ones with the fancy brew company label...

Back