What to expect from finish product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I got a taste of my first brew (a red ale from brewers best) on the way from the primary to the secondary.
I was fairly bland tasting, not bad, but not great. No real off flavors or anything. Kind of tasted like the smell of the glass a couple of hours after I drank a leinie's red lager.

Once I bottle this this weekend, it will sit till sometime late august, due to vacation and work schedules.

I understand the beer was not carbed, not cold, and really green, but what can I expect as far as flavors, Ive never tasted a beer coming out of the primary before, so I dont know if im in for a nasty brew or if the flavors get better with age and carbing. It drinkable Im sure, but will it be good.

IMO it's way too early to tell anything about the beer other than you didn't severely mess up the process (i.e. no real off flavors). Carbonation, age, and proper serving temps will change the flavors, mouthfeel, and overall profile, but if you're not detecting strong flavor, there's a chance it won't develop any... I suggest relaxing and having a favorite craft beer while you wait, and brew another few batches while waiting for this one...

If the beer didn't taste like rancid meat or otherwise make you want to throw up at this stage then it's progressing just fine. The only thing you'd really be able to detect at this point would be some sort of infection that made the beer taste disgusting. But if it pretty much tastes like mediocre flat beer, then that's exactly what you should be getting at this point and you're on your way to making some good beer.

++1 on Drat's comment. Believe me, if you are not tasting any off-flavors at this point pat yourself on the back and let the thing do its thing. My first was so bad at first I named it "assbock." Now, five weeks in the bottle, the off-flavors are starting to go away; I think it will actually turn out well. What to expect from finish product? The satisfaction that YOU MADE THIS and yes, I am sure it will be most excellent!

I kind of figured I was ok, just wanted some reassurance. Having never tasted it at that point in the process I didnt know what to expect. And I did have a few brews that day. A bells amber ale, a smithwicks, to hienikens on the golf course and a orberon pint after golf. And I golfed great to boot. It was a good day.

Thought Id update this just in case someone else is having this same question. Its one month later and Ive had a few, ok 12 of the beers, and it surprisingly really good, the carbing and another month aging have made all the difference. It being cold helps too.

Back