What to do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
With this? IMG_20190213_111223.jpg
The wife was going to make an apple pie so she stole 2/3 of a can of fajc from me and put in a mixing bowl with these apples. Fast fwd to over a week later and she's going "Smell this". It's got a faint fermentation odor.

So now I get to decide what to do with it. Current carboys are the half gallon it's in and a 3L.

Ideas?

Apple cider crisp!

Toss in a baking dish with some oatmeal, brown sugar, raisins/dried cherries, bit o butter & bake at 350F for an hour. Slap the baked crisp in a bowl with some vanilla ice cream -- wash down with one of ur ciders [emoji111]

Never made my faux ice ciders with actual chunks of apples in it. Juice may not be worth the squeeze as they say....but who knows [emoji16] Good luck & Cheers [emoji111]

Well my local market was out of fajc. So i got a 96 oz bottle of aj and dumped it on top of the apple/fajc mix. A little pectinase, and some raisins. and tomorrow I'll pitch it and see what I get. Just gotta see what yeast I still have, besides bread that is.

So i went to move this today. Haven't pitched it yet, and it's fermenting. I think I'll let my new wild yeasts go for it. I'll just bump it up to a gallon using some more fajc ang juice. No og readings for this batch.

Well my local market was out of fajc. So i got a 96 oz bottle of aj and dumped it on top of the apple/fajc mix. A little pectinase, and some raisins. and tomorrow I'll pitch it and see what I get. Just gotta see what yeast I still have, besides bread that is.

If it’s going already you might not need to add commercial yeast.

Yeah it was slowly building up but my step son heard me tell the wife I hadn't used yeast, and did me the favor of pitching the same bread yeast he uses for his meads. So now it's rolling well but I'm not sure how much of each is going.

Lots of variables, and the fact the volume of the endeavor is so low, seems like a lot of effort, on the other hand, experiments are fun..

So this got racked to a one gallon bottle with a ton of headspace. Once the airlock activity slowed to nill it got cold crashed, racked again, and topped off with 24 oz of FAJC. Put the airlock back on and back into the dark box to sit a bit longer so if it restarts I'm good. If it doesn't that's ok also as it can start aging.

So since my last post here it has been steadily chugging away with just enough bubbles sliding up the side of the carboy to see them.
So a month and a half at 72°F and it's still going. I may have to breed this yeast if it turns out a good product.
I may not be able to do low but this yeast mix appears to be slow.

Lots of variables, and the fact the volume of the endeavor is so low, seems like a lot of effort, on the other hand, experiments are fun..
Just tasted this, it was well worth the effort.
Sadly it will probably take me years to recreate. No backsweetening, it has an ever so sweet taste to it with a nice malic bite. I may do the apple thing for all my ciders from now on. Next batch will get granny smiths for S&G's. Maybe do a full five or six gallons.
IMG_20190505_164236_burst_01.jpg
Turned out very nice.

Back