What to do....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeBonesBrewing

Reaction score
I have a friend that got an extract brewing kit as a gift. He brewed it with me during one of my brew days and never bottled. The beer has been in the carboy with airlock secure for about a year. He called me today and asked if he should just throw it out or if he could actually still safely bottle/drink this beer. Any suggestions? I have never had this issue as I am ready to drink my beer as soon as possible!

if there is no mold or visible infection, bottle it, drink it. it should be fine. the hops will be a bit muted but otherwise it should be nothing short of drinkable beer.

that is if the airlock has been full of liquid and it isn't infected. if it is infected it could still taste good, bottle it and find out. either way it won't kill you and could be amazing.

what kind of beer kit was it? stout, ipa, pale?

A year? I wonder if he should re pitch a little yeast to make sure it carbonates. It couldnt hurt I guess...

It is a bock. He is going to bring it over this weekend while we brew so we can sample it and make a decision. No visible signs of mold or contaminants. I am curious to see how it tastes. I was thinking of kegging/force carbonating and seeing what happens. Thanks for the input!

Back