What to do with (probably) the last Anchor Steam I'll ever have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rish

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My grandson looked all around Atlanta and found one sixer of Anchor Steam which he gave to me (great to have family that loves you!). Can't decide whether to drink it while it's as fresh as it is (bottled 02/14/23) or save it and drink it passed it's prime but enjoy the nostalgia. Any thoughts?
IMG_20231119_181808537.jpg

Be sure to save one to compare with the HB steam beer that's next in your pipeline.
That is my plan! I had picked up a 6 pack of cans earlier in the year when Anchor announced they were limited distribution. I have one can tucked in the back of my fridge. I brewed a Cali Common last week. It is not an Anchor clone, but it should be close (I tossed 4 oz of Briess Extra Special Malt into the mash).

@Rish : I don't think it is a beer that ages particularly well. As much as I used to stick up my nose at canned beers, these days I really try to avoid any pale or hoppy beers in bottles. I would enjoy the beers now. Just maybe gently pry off a bottle cap (placing a quarter on the cap works to protect the cap), then clean, dry and recap a bottle to sit in a shelf.

Unfortunately, a light hoppy beer won't age well. I wish it would... I have fond memories of Anchor Steam, but I haven't had 1 in 35 years. I guess I'll not have any more. :(

While I do have a couple of fond memories of drinking Anchor Steam, I thought about going out and trying to find some when they made the announcement. In the end, I didn't bother.

Latest posts

Back