What to do with "pear honey?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre the giant

Reaction score
I got 5-6 lbs of pear honey from my mother in law. I think the pears were picked three days ago, so the stuff is really fresh. Anyhow, its made with pears, pear juice, SUGAR and water. What to do, what to do?

Here are my thoughts. I was thinking of making a Pear Hefeweizen by making my normal Hefeweizen recipe, and adding a pound or so of pear honey 30 min from the end of the boil. I imagine all the sugar will just ferment into alcohol, but the pears should provide a nice subtle fruit flavor.

Thoughts?? Suggestions?? What say ye?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

my uncle keeps bees and instead of using sugar for his brews he uses the same amount of honey as you would sugar and the end result is a very sweet tasting beer in oz we have a commercial beer called bees kneez thats a nice drop too. :p

Pears are one of the only fruits I can stand as an alcoholic beverage. You should consider making a pear cider with it. Although I think your pear hefe would be pretty darn tasty. Send me a bottle!

After careful consideration, I opted to leave the pear honey out of the Hefe, but I did use a good amount in my Belgian Wit, which called for a pound of honey. I may give pear Hefe a try sometime down the road. But I'll probably use crushed pears instead of the pear honey which has a lot of sugar added to it.

Pear cider.... Hmmmmmm.... How would one go about making such a beverage?

Back