what to do with oxidized wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I just tasted some of a black muscadine wine that has been bulk aging for a year. It has noticeable oxidation taste. Not horrible, but noticeable. Any suggestions?

Is there a fix?
Drink as is?
Turn into vinegar?

You can't undo the oxidation any more than you can undo the alcoholic fermentation. It's a chemical change.
Are you using sulfite post-fermentation??

Age it longer and see what happens.
Make vinegar.
Distill it.
Use for cooking.
Make Molotov cocktails.
Give it to people who don't know any better.

Yes, I normally use sulfites, but I made a mistake on that batch and I kind of thought it might be a problem. But it is only one gal, so I just let it set at the back of the shed for a year to see what would happen.

What if I fortified and backsweetened it a little. Would it turn out like Sherry?

The Sherry flavor comes from oxidation, so maybe, with more age. Not really sure.

not sure if it’s kinda the same issue, but I had a batch that I felt got a bit cooked over the July heat (sitting in a room with no AC). Not sure if counts as “salvaging” it, but I added more fruit, increased the batch from 2gaL to 3. Then to restart fermentation, I combined all of it with almost a gallon of a nearly identical batch that just finished up (some wine and yeast cake in bucket), then topped off with some more honey water to 4 gallons.
I just the other day racked that batch as it’s cleared now. I tasted it yesterday, I’d say the new fruit addition and diluting it covered up the issue, but it’s also a bit tart so I need to back sweeten some more.

Last edited:
Back