What to do with old, unused grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkrabbit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a bunch of old grain I need to toss, or at least not use for beer. I made a few batches with it and it's pretty clear there's a quality difference. It's over 3 years old and has been through a few moves. Sealed bucket or not, I can't guarantee the temperature never changed. Regardless....

We compost a lot, can this be composted as is? I usually compost spent grain, but can unused grain be composted? We have a 3000sqft garden that looooves consuming compost.

Thanks!

Hi all, I have a bunch of old grain I need to toss, or at least not use for beer. I made a few batches with it and it's pretty clear there's a quality difference. It's over 3 years old and has been through a few moves. Sealed bucket or not, I can't guarantee the temperature never changed. Regardless....

We compost a lot, can this be composted as is? I usually compost spent grain, but can unused grain be composted? We have a 3000sqft garden that looooves consuming compost.

Thanks!

of course, compost it then.

Thanks for the suggestions, all! Lots of ideas.

I frequently use old grain stored in buckets without any problems. How much grain is it?
Use it in a roasty stout, add bourbon that soaked in barrel chips or a large amount of hops to obscure the issue you noticed?

It's quite a lot, probably 30kg total. I may take some and use in a stout, try it anyway. For IPA or hefe though these are past their prime I think... they're a bit 'chewy'.

If you know someone with chickens, I'm sure they would trade you some eggs for it. If you feed the birds in a feeder, just put some in there with the other seeds...

I actually have someone with chickens 2 houses down from me, I can see if he'd use it! Thanks!

Use it all up in a high gravity barleywine or do parti-gyle with a second smaller brew? Put some in the oven and make your own Victory malt?

Hard to see in the trail cam picture but this is an 8 point buck near a pile of spent grain I had dumped out the day before. In a perfect circle of life scenario I later harvested that deer during archery season and enjoyed a venison steak dinner accompanied with the beer I made from the grains he ate.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
Unless the grain is moldy, musty, insect-infested or obviously oxidised (which may happen to Crystals and fatty grains, like Oats and Rye), there's no reason to toss it I think.
I've used grains stored up to 6 years long with no major problems. Old grains taste a bit blander than fresh, still they turn out totally OK for my hop-forward beers or Porters/Stouts.

Should be fine for stouts, porters and other heavy flavored beers.

You can just make a gallon batch with some as a lightly hopped SMASH and see what the flavor is like.

Hard to see in the trail cam picture but this is an 8 point buck near a pile of spent grain I had dumped out the day before. In a perfect circle of life scenario I later harvested that deer during archery season and enjoyed a venison steak dinner accompanied with the beer I made from the grains he ate.
That's AWESOOME! Slainte!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cleared out something like 20-odd pounds of unused malt and crystal grain. Gave it away to guy at work who owns chickens because I didn't want to brew with malt that had grain moths. Grain moths are a pain in the ass to get rid of once they are in your house.

Got some eggs, but wasn't impressed with them for the most part, but I suppose the chickens like the grain.

I've brewed with malt that was over 10 years in a sealed plastic bucket. Unless it is moldy or full of bugs, use it. IslandLizard suggested making a batch of wort for starters. My buddy makes "wort-cicles" and uses them exclusively for starters.

Back