What to do with my Hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matridium

Reaction score
I Brewed an all grain HAZY IPA on September the 10th, It ended up being a big beer larger then what I anticipated. 2.5 Gallons with OG 1.101. right now FG is at 1.022 I used LalBrew Verdant IPA yeast, pitched whole package into the fermenter and maintained temps at 73F with a fermentrack controller, I dry hopped about 3 days before end of fermentation and then bumped the temp up to 77. I have not had time to bottle the beer so its been sitting on the dry hops and yeast for a long time. I can keg the beer, (I have bad luck with kegging) I usually add corn sugar to a sanitized/purged keg and then close transfer the beer from the primary and let it sit for about an hour or so with occasional gentle swirling to equilibrate the sugar and beer in the keg. Then, I dispense with a beer gun into 1 Liter bottles and condition. Question is; have I let it sit too long on the yeast? I'm planning on getting time either tonight or tomorrow night to switch to my bottleing keg and getting it into bottles. But kegging is an option but again I have bad luck.... I can't balance a keg if my life depended on it. Either flat, or foaming all over the place. I also prefer bottles for storage.

It has not been on the yeast too long. IMO, 18 or 19 days is par for the course especially for a beer with such a high OG.

I dont like to dry hop for longer than 7 days because I have had some grassy flavors develop in the past. I think this was the cause. You may or may not have that problem... a quick taste will answer that question.

I like the idea of a closed transfer to a purged keg. Oxidation is a big concern for hoppy beers and hazy IPA seems to be one of the most susceptible styles. Force carbing should be a pretty simple process especially if you use the set it and forget it process.

That said, if you prefer bottles go for it. It just may age quicker.

I dont like to dry hop for longer than 7 days because I have had some grassy flavors develop in the past. I think this was the cause
+1 this

A podcast I listened to a couple weeks ago suggested that the vegetal matter from the hops will also reabsorb some of the aromatic compounds over time as well....no idea how true that is, but food for thought 🍻

I Brewed an all grain HAZY IPA on September the 10th, It ended up being a big beer larger then what I anticipated. 2.5 Gallons with OG 1.101. right now FG is at 1.022 I used LalBrew Verdant IPA yeast, pitched whole package into the fermenter and maintained temps at 73F with a fermentrack controller, I dry hopped about 3 days before end of fermentation and then bumped the temp up to 77. I have not had time to bottle the beer so its been sitting on the dry hops and yeast for a long time. I can keg the beer, (I have bad luck with kegging) I usually add corn sugar to a sanitized/purged keg and then close transfer the beer from the primary and let it sit for about an hour or so with occasional gentle swirling to equilibrate the sugar and beer in the keg. Then, I dispense with a beer gun into 1 Liter bottles and condition. Question is; have I let it sit too long on the yeast? I'm planning on getting time either tonight or tomorrow night to switch to my bottleing keg and getting it into bottles. But kegging is an option but again I have bad luck.... I can't balance a keg if my life depended on it. Either flat, or foaming all over the place. I also prefer bottles for storage.

Since this is a hazy IPA, which is very sensitive to O2, you should be very careful to purge the keg well. A good discussion of how many purges it takes is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/discouraging-first-keg-experience.695011/#post-9158477

Since this is a hazy IPA, which is very sensitive to O2, you should be very careful to purge the keg well. A good discussion of how many purges it takes is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/discouraging-first-keg-experience.695011/#post-9158477
I know how to purge the keg and I have a special setup I made that insures that it does not contact oxygen when I transfer. I machined a ball lock setup that slides into my fermenter as I push out the beer into the keg. It works very well. I will post a picture when I get it out to transfer the beer.

+1 this

A podcast I listened to a couple weeks ago suggested that the vegetal matter from the hops will also reabsorb some of the aromatic compounds over time as well....no idea how true that is, but food for thought 🍻
So I wonder how this will affect the flavor?? I had made the recipe once before and only dry hoped for like 3 days so this will definitely be different.

41A7913E-4050-44D7-A1AD-1AB4EEB4BBF9.jpeg
C4C8B9B8-2CD7-40E9-8123-B205B390CB8E.jpeg
83569FAB-7F76-49F6-9908-FF69910364CA.jpeg
E083F4BB-962A-403E-B762-E900CAB8A936.jpeg

So I wonder how this will affect the flavor?? I had made the recipe once before and only dry hoped for like 3 days so this will definitely be different.
I'd say different for sure, but not necessarily bad. Idk what hops you used for this, but I'm not sugguesting your aroma is gonna be flat by any means; just maybe not as complex as it might have been. Shooting at the hip I'd guess those big piney, earthy tones are still going to be there, but if you were looking for some of those big fruity esters I'd probably expect them to feel some what muted. I'd wager it's still going to be good, but definitely different from your first attempt. Let us know how it pans out! 🍻

I'd say different for sure, but not necessarily bad. Idk what hops you used for this, but I'm not sugguesting your aroma is gonna be flat by any means; just maybe not as complex as it might have been. Shooting at the hip I'd guess those big piney, earthy tones are still going to be there, but if you were looking for some of those big fruity esters I'd probably expect them to feel some what muted. I'd wager it's still going to be good, but definitely different from your first attempt. Let us know how it pans out! 🍻
I will definitely post a follow up

Back