What to do with 25' copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
I recently built one of those CFC's using Bobby's design. I ended up buying 50' of 3/8" copper tubing, and only used 25'. Now I'm stuck wondering, should I build a second CFC and sell it to buy more things for my Ag setup I'm currently building (or buy a fancy premium account for HBT :p), or build something out of it like a 25' IC considering my hose water runs at about 74 F on average.

What do you all think?

I completely overlooked a pre-chiller. The build is the same as a IC right? And then, just put it in a vessel with ice water, and run the water through it before it runs into the CFC?

I was using a 25' pre-chiller in a bucket of ice salt water and then into my 50' ribcage immersion chiller. I was able to cool 5 gallons from boiling to 70 degrees in 6-8 minutes (6 minutes if I whirlpooled the hell out of it and 8 minutes if I didn't). It works well, but is kind of a PITA setting it up, getting ice for the bucket, blowing it out after use, etc. My water is very cold (very deep well) and my 50' IC is able to cool the wort down in 10-12 minutes without the pre-chiller. I just cannibalized the 25' immersion chiller and now using it as a HERMS coil for my all electric build, which I am currently working on. :mug:

I was using a 25' pre-chiller in a bucket of ice salt water and then into my 50' ribcage immersion chiller. I was able to cool 5 gallons from boiling to 70 degrees in 6-8 minutes (6 minutes if I whirlpooled the hell out of it and 8 minutes if I didn't). It works well, but is kind of a PITA setting it up, getting ice for the bucket, blowing it out after use, etc. My water is very cold (very deep well) and my 50' IC is able to cool the wort down in 10-12 minutes without the pre-chiller. I just cannibalized the 25' immersion chiller and now using it as a HERMS coil for my all electric build, which I am currently working on. :mug:

Nice! That's exactly what I'm planning on doing, except instead of using an IC, using a CFC. Some people like flowmaster gave me some great ideas on using a pump instead of a pre chiller (I think Edwort uses a similar system)....but if i already have the means to make a pre chiller, why not?

Back