What to do next? Lager Not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I pitched the yeast at 55 degrees F. Then I placed the carboy in the refrigerator. When I checked it the next morning it was 39 degrees F. I unplugged the refrige for the day. After work, 8 hours later, I set the carboy, incidently still @ 45 degress f, in warm water and got the temp to 70 degrees f. I shook it a little and left it over night. No fermenting this morning either.

Do I get new yeast? Wait another day? Toss the entire batch? I bought refrigerator temp controller at lunch yesterday too.

Put it back in the fridge with the controller set at 55F and check it in a week. Lager yeasts are much slower than ale yeasts. In my comparison experiment, the ale was almost done fermenting before the lager was really started.

david_42 said:
Put it back in the fridge with the controller set at 55F and check it in a week. Lager yeasts are much slower than ale yeasts. In my comparison experiment, the ale was almost done fermenting before the lager was really started.

Same experience here with the lager I brewed on Saturday night. It is finally getting started today with some active (bubbling airlock) fermentation. If I had brewed an ale Saturday night, it would probably be just about finished.

-walker

Latest posts

Back