What to Brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowcreekWI

Reaction score
I met the Brewmaster of a local microbrewery last night at a private party. I peppered him with questions for way too long but at the end of the conversation he invited me to use their test lab to make a 15 gallon batch this fall. He said just email the recipe and he'll get all the ingredients.

So... what to brew? I'd like to make a session APA that is not overly bitter but with big aroma- a mix of noble, some American and New Zealand. (like Moon Man if you've ever had it) Any suggestions??

thanks,
SnowCreek

Sweet opportunity! Use this to do your own thing, not a clone! How about a sessionable APA, 50 ibus, with tons of late hops with citra and Nelson Sauvin? Those hops play nicely together. Big on the sub 5 minute hops, whirlpool, and dry hop!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Adaman05, I mean you no disrespect but I believe you are way too far to the right. Everybody and their f-ing dog, is doing "big" beers, and hop bombs, I can't taste anything else for days, IPA's. IIPA's" Imperial Royal IPA's, Double Black Chocolate, IPA's, you get my point. Make something with finesse, subtlety, character, something that bucks the trend, at least I would.
This may turn out to be the opportunity of a lifetime, I wish you well.

Adaman05, I mean you no disrespect but I believe you are way too far to the right. Everybody and their f-ing dog, is doing "big" beers, and hop bombs, I can't taste anything else for days, IPA's. IIPA's" Imperial Royal IPA's, Double Black Chocolate, IPA's, you get my point. Make something with finesse, subtlety, character, something that bucks the trend, at least I would.
This may turn out to be the opportunity of a lifetime, I wish you well.

Wow! Did you see the OPs post? He is wanting to do an APA, which is why I suggested it. Sheesh. Lighten up ;)

After I made that long thought out post, I checked the O.P., and yup, I did go on a bit of a rant. The one thing I will stonewall is, it may be the opportunity of his life, I hope he plans carefully, and I do wish him well. :eek:

thanks for all the replies. I am going to search the web recipes this weekend. If this really goes down (you know how "party-talk" is) I'll report back. My only fear and totally without merit is the microbrewery will steal the recipe for their own. ya' like that is going to happen

thanks for all the replies. I am going to search the web recipes this weekend. If this really goes down (you know how "party-talk" is) I'll report back. My only fear and totally without merit is the microbrewery will steal the recipe for their own. ya' like that is going to happen

Would that really be that bad?

Were you planning to make millions off the recipe?

I'm a firm believer that recipe is only a very small portion of making a good beer and that given the same recipe one person (or brewery) could make world class beer while another person (or brewery) could make a complete dumper.

That said, I'd keep the recipe relatively simple. I mean, if it were me I'd be pretty excited to try my most brewed recipe to see how it turned out on the commercial equipment.

I've got a killer milk stout recipe if you're into that sort of thing. It is a fall/winter beer, after all.

2008 winner of stout category in west region of SA Longshot, 2008 gold medal in the first round of NHC (Southwest region).

I'd try and do my own recipe. An APA sounds great. Brew it up a few times on your own 5 gl system. Work out all the bugs to your liking. Then scale it up to 15 gl. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back