What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablosanjari

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm planning on brewing tomorrow with limited ingredients.
What I have to play with is:
5kg(11 lbs) pale ale malt
2kg( 4.5 lbs) Munich malt
100g( 3.5 oz) Amarillo
100g ( 3.5oz )Nelson sauvin
Safale Us - 05 yeast

I was planning on doing a smash with NS and pale ale but after my last smash I found that it was lacking that extra something and decided to pop into my LHBS.
Unfortunately they had had a busy day today and I couldn't get my hands on any caramel malt. So I decided to pick up some Munich and amarillo.

Now I'm trying to decide on what to do with it.

Originally I was thinking somewhere in the region
Of

3kg ( 6.75lbs) pale ale
1kg( 2.25lbs) Munich

60 min Amarillo addition and thenhop bursting both hops from 30 minutes downward with about maybe 80g( 2.8oz) of my 200g(7oz) hops spared for dry hopping .
40g(1.4oz) in primary and 40g(1.4oz) secondary.

I'm feeling a little unsure as I've never used Munich in big quantities before.
I understand that I'm going to get more bready flavours but don't want to overdo it

Anyone have and ideas for a recipe based on
My ingredients.

Thanks in advance.

Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy!

Well first of all have a lot of fun!
That's the prime objective. Sounds like you have stepped out of the box and now want to
Make an original brew. Sooo get it on. You have what you need to make Ale, so call it that.
You have a month or so to decide which style it most resembles. Those ingredients don't look like they are too sinister. I'm sure some real brewers will chime in here but looks to me it might have an OG of say1.043 to 1.047 and finish around 1.01 to 1.015 for about 3.5% alcohol. Folks here may recommend adding a little brown sugar or caramel malt to change the gravity or mouth feal. It sounds like you have what you wanted to make your own Ale and you could go with what you have. You may want to make a starter but the dry yeast should take off and do just fine the way it is. Might want to rehydrate the yeast just prior to pitching or save some of the hops for dry hopping if you like the hop aroma. I'm guessing you do since you got so much. Me Too! Keep us posted and maybe post a picture of the finished product. you do have a hydrometer I assume and do not under estimate the importance of being sterile. Even the packages you have the malt and hops in. Might watch a YouTube or ten. Cheers

Back