What to brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
Just finished my 4th brew... Having alot of fun with this new hobby. I also just tasted my first brew, a Fat Tire clone.. Wow! It was actually good.. I was kind of nervous.. Hmm.. I really did have my doubts...

So the question at hand.... What to brew next... I have a full boil setup. I have done steeped grains from the start.. I will eventually get into AG but not yet.. I would like to really start making some beers that are more forgiving with the summer Temps. I have done a Hef and it looks good so far... I really like Belgians.. OK I said it.. But I do. I have a Saison kit up next.. And suggestions for some other brews.. How are Trippels and Dubbels for summer brewing and what are some high gravity beers to brew?

When aging beers... Are they aged for months in my secondary fermentor or in the bottle?

Thanks in advance...

I'm new too, but since you asked, the Irish Red Ale kit from Austin Home Brew was fantastic. I'm brewing it again this Saturday.

Last weekend, I kegged my Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I know how that one turned out. :mug:

Koelsch-style. Top fermenting, great drinking in the summer.

Also, if you are interested I would suggest trying mini mashes. Don't need much new equipment but you can add equipment that will make the transition to AG.

if you're going to do a triple, it will generally take longer to ferment than other ales. be sure not to transfer to secondary until it is finished or you may get a stuck fermentation that is a real pain to get started again. after that you can let it sit for a few weeks at least in the secondary, again longer than most beers.

higher gravity ales, especially belgians, need months to age in the bottle. they're ready to drink at about 3 months, but taste much better after six, so if you brew it now, it'll be ready by winter, which is really when it should be drank, anyway.

i've been stock-piling my closet with hefe's...perfect summer beers. now that i have some stuff to drink, i'll probably move on to some higher gravity stuff myself and let them age.

If you like Belgian beers a belgian wit is a good summer beer. Or you could do a Belgian Pale Ale for the summer and use the yeast cake for a good dubble or triple that you can age until winter.
I also like dry stouts and porters and IPAs for hot weather but thats not everyones tastes.
Craig

I just did a Belgium Wit from AHB that is amazing. Came out much better than my previous Belgium Hefe and is a quick and easy brew for warm weather.

I'm having similar dilemma - what to brew next... I already have two hefe's bottled and want something a bit different... perhaps a sam summer clone.

Back