What to add to CFC so I can screw in Quick Disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eko

Reaction score
I have a CFC where the wort input & outputs are 3/8 inch copper, OD. I believe this is standard on the majority of CFCs (especially cheaper ones). If not, let me know, I may have taken a bad measurement.

I'd like to sweat on some pipe so I can end up with a 1/2 inch FPT that I can then screw a quick disconnect into. I'm thinking 1/2" SS Camlock F type (male threads to male camlock).

I've soldered before, it's been a while but I'm comfortable re-learning. Where I'm foggy is on what part I need to sweat on to the current input/outputs? Am I looking for a 1/2" x 1/2" FPT?

Will this work?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO4H9A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If possible, please include links. Any other criticisms or suggestions are welcome & appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you solder on adapters you will need 1/4" tube to 1/2" male npt then cam a fittings. Yes the 1/4" fits 3/8 od tubing. Without sweating, the next option is compression fittings.

Sort of. Sweat fittings like adapters, couplings, tees, etc are called the size of the tubing ID they fit. Since you have 3/8" OD tubing which is 1/4" Nominal ID, the sweat fittings for that tubing will say 1/4". Compression fittings are called by the tubing OD that fits them. In that case, you'll use the 3/8" tube compression.

Sort of. Sweat fittings like adapters, couplings, tees, etc are called the size of the tubing ID they fit. Since you have 3/8" OD tubing which is 1/4" Nominal ID, the sweat fittings for that tubing will say 1/4". Compression fittings are called by the tubing OD that fits them. In that case, you'll use the 3/8" tube compression.

Ah, that makes sense. Or at least gives me some rules to follow. Was having a heck of time figuring out which size I needed based on which parts I was looking at. Examples I found didn't seem to be consistent as to whether they were 'named' based on ID or OD. And now I understand why.

Thanks again.

Back