What things are you snobby about now that you weren't 5 years ago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
You know, stuff that you got interested in, either making or using?

*Beer - I used to thing that Pacifico and Negro Modelo were "good" beers
*Coffee - I'm working on it. I can still drink Denny's coffee but I much prefer a cup brewed with my French Press of Moka pot.
*Knives - I had never used a nice knife before I started dating my ex and used his set of Wustofs. The ex is gone, but I'm working on my collection and every time I know I'll be cooking at someone else's house, I bring my own knives, other people all seem to have dull ones which makes the experience unpleasant.
*Cheese - I don't have the equipment to make many different cheeses, but man, I've gotten picky about cheeses to eat. I LOVE "craft" cheeses, unfortunately, I still haven't been able to stomach bleu-y ones. Mold on the outside is usually ok, but inundated with mold are a little tough for me still.
*Cookware - nice thick bottomed pots and pans, my ever growing cast iron collection, etc. They really make the cooking experience much more pleasurable.
*Sheets and towels - thick fluffy towels that actually absorb water (cheap towels just seem to smear it around until they've been washed enough times, then they're threadbare and unpleasant to use). I may only have 4 nice towels, but I'd rather launder 4 nice towels more often than 8 crappy ones. And high thread count sheets. You don't notice a difference until your bare ass is slipping around in 700 thread count cotton. mmmm. My only exception for that is my million year old flannel sheets. I love them.
*Artisan breads - don't get me wrong, I still love the loaf of wonder-like bread to make turkey sammiches after Thanksgiving, but I've had trouble finding truly remarkable artisan breads, even at expensive markets. It's cheaper and produces a better product to make them myself I've found, and I compare every commercial bread to my product and always find myself disappointed with others. Maybe I just need to find a good bakery, but HWMBO's dad keeps telling me that my bread is the closest he's found to true breads from NJ that he's had since moving to Seattle in 85.

How about you? What are you a snob about? Has this foray into homebrewing made you snobbier about things other than beer?

Beer. i dont think i am, but SWMBO begs to differ.

Shaving. started using a straight razor this year.

Recycling. i cannot help but rant everytime a see a label touting the benefits of paying someone else to recycle but not actually doing it yourself (offsets)

Food. its gotta be healthy, taste good, and be made by me.

Beer of course, and carpentry. I've gone to extremes at home on both counts. Both of which are very rewarding of course. First thing I did with my new skills? Built a bar.

Probably snobbier with beer.... and I'm so meat and potatos that I could never be a food snob.

Beer- I used to drink coors light, heineken on holidays, Natty Light. Now,because of this website, I have learned a little about beer.

Tools- I used to buy the cheapest possible, now I buy the best that I can when I am replacing the cheap stuff.

Bread: I live in Mapletucky,(Maple Shade) a small town in NJ near Philadelphia. Usually, when I go back up to north jersey, I buy real bread.

Food: I used to eat a lot, now I eat better.

Beer is probably the only thing I'm truly snobby about. I'll politely refuse a BMC and it's never an option when I'm hosting a cookout.

Coffee- Unless it's the really cheap generic crap, I could care less. Love the Maxwell House and Yuban, and I've been known to microwave day old coffee once in awhile.

Tools- I'd probably be snobbier if I used them often. Most of my stuff is Craftsman by default, but I've got cheap stuff that works too. Craftsman does p!ss me off more as they have started to incorporate a lot of Chinese stuff into their product line. My Dad used to have a bunch of MAC tools, those were expensive.

Some of the other stuff like cookware and knives, I plan on being snobbier once I get out of debt a bit and get to the point where I can afford nicer stuff. I have really nice pans from Costco that are getting old (teflon coated). My next cookware is going to be stainless and cast iron, no more teflon.

I am snobby only about beer and running shoes, but that hasn't changed in the past five years. The beer thing is obvious. I will never buy running shoes from a sporting goods/shoe store because those things are cheaper renditions of the ones actually sold in running stores.

Oh, and I'm snobby about couches on the porch and any outdoor furniture that is not built to be outdoors.:D

My list is short, and I'll leave the obvious response of 'beer' off the list for the sake of brevity. :D

Camera equipment- especially lenses. I got into photography pretty seriously through professional acquaintances.

Knives. Happiness in my kitchen is a well-sharpened, well-balanced piece of fine cutlery.

Artisanal cheeses and breads.

Wet shaving. Straight razor and DE all the way. Shave soap applied with a badger brush.

beer - I am young and have always had a taste for good beer but never really went to great lengths to get it when I was younger. I am 22 now and am a complete beer snob and would rather drink 1 really good beer instead of 6 BMC's. I used to do the opposite and will still play some beer pong on occasion with my BMC friends. Nothing like an IIPA out of a snifter on a sit down session though.

sunglasses - I used to be a Panama Jack kinda guy until I was like 17. Since then i've spent over a grand in sunglasses easily. Oakley, Maui Jim, Ray Ban, Costa Del Mar, Persol. I am currently wearing a pair of Costas with glass lenses. I have a couple pairs of cheap sunglasses that I use when out in the water and such that If I were to lose them, it wouldn't be a big deal. The optical clarity on cheap sunglasses bugs the hell out of me. I have converted my girlfriend to expensive shades too, she can't wear the cheap-os any longer.

Pizza - Around my parts, good pizza isn't to be found. I am pretty much a food snob in general but I take pizza to a whole new level. I'll get up early on a saturday and make the sauce and dough from scratch, have pies cooking by 6-7. I use only the best ingredients I can get and everything is fresh. I cook on a stone in the hottest oven I can get but I tell ya If i had room i'd build a wood fired stove. If you want the sauce recipe let me know but the dough recipe is mine.

Knives - I am the same way as you laurel, I hate cooking without a good knife. I am partial to shun and wusthof. I only have two knives in my kitchen that I use and really don't see a need for anything else except a filet knife. I use a 7" Shun Santoku, and a 4" Shun Paring. I am more of a "rocker" instead of a "chopper" with my knife technique so a santoku works perfect for my style.

Bed - I dropped multiple paychecks on a king size custom built latex bed from a local manufacturer here in Pensacola. I have to say it's the best money I have ever spent. Every time I climb into my bed, it entices me to sleep and I almost can't help but get GOOD sleep.

I'm less snobby about beer actually. If I go to a party, I bring my own, but if I'm offered a Bud Light I'll drink it happily.

I don't know how I would cook without our All-Clad pots.

I was always a tool snob. Craftsman or Husky for hand tools, my Delta saw and my Porter Cable routers.

Steak. I had an unbelievable filet at Smith & Wollensky in NYC years ago. I had no idea steak could taste that good.

Just beer and steak.

I'm a pretty easy going person. I really don't care what other people drink and I'm certainly not going to tell a friend that they're drinking crap if they bring Bud Light over to my house, but I certainly don't want to drink it.

As for steak, I'm not even *that* snobby, I just like a good cut of meat - not the $3.99/lb. ass steaks that my wife comes home from the store with.

Women - 5 years ago I was a lot less picky than I am now days. Of course that flies out the window if I have too much Apfelwein.

Bread: I live in Mapletucky,(Maple Shade) a small town in NJ near Philadelphia. Usually, when I go back up to north jersey, I buy real bread.

Hey NJTomatoGuy,

I grew up in Mt. Laurel- have you been to Del Bueno's bakery in Gloucester? Great breads and rolls! Remember to bring gloves to grab the rolls as they're coming out of the oven. :D

Beer, i have always been a bit picky about the beer i will drink... opting for water at most parties simply because i would rather drink piss then Bud light, Miller light, etc etc... But latley i have been opting for water on anything thats not home brew, or a good micro brew... Its jus the fact that home brewers and professional micro brewers put more care and love into one bottle then the BMC's do into an entire line of product a hundred time over... I will still drink comerical hard cider but i prefer a glass of HB hard cider

Mead...This is a big one... when i was younger i would drink mead with my uncle and he brewed his own. When i started being about to buy my own i tried some comerical meeds... swearing was involved and so was spitting

knives... I would almost prefer to buy a stainless steel blank and spend 6 hours putting an edge you can cut your self just my looking at it. Its the way i am, i prefer a good sharp, well balenced knife close at hand for just about everything, opening boxes, opening cans, etc etc. (of coruse this means i am a snob about shapening files, wet stones, polishing stones, shaping stones, pointing stones, etc)

Shaving... started using a stright razor like many, and they are alot better then electic shavers and disposeables.

Cigars... i dont like cheep cigars, never have but these days if it doesnt taste good and i would rather jump of a brigde then smoke a bad cigar.

Thats about it

Cheers

Hey NJTomatoGuy,

I grew up in Mt. Laurel- have you been to Del Bueno's bakery in Gloucester? Great breads and rolls! Remember to bring gloves to grab the rolls as they're coming out of the oven. :D

Actually, yes. I got called out there for a plumbing issue, and came home with a bad of bread. Didn't even make it home, because it smelled so good!

Snobs.

I used to accept just any random bargain-basement snob, but lately I've been limiting my collection to fine, hand-carved snobs with clear areal delineation and thoroughly studied discrimination.

You know, stuff that you got interested in, either making or using?

*Beer - I used to thing that Pacifico and Negro Modelo were "good" beers
*Coffee - I'm working on it. I can still drink Denny's coffee but I much prefer a cup brewed with my French Press of Moka pot.
*Knives - I had never used a nice knife before I started dating my ex and used his set of Wustofs. The ex is gone, but I'm working on my collection and every time I know I'll be cooking at someone else's house, I bring my own knives, other people all seem to have dull ones which makes the experience unpleasant.
*Cheese - I don't have the equipment to make many different cheeses, but man, I've gotten picky about cheeses to eat. I LOVE "craft" cheeses, unfortunately, I still haven't been able to stomach bleu-y ones. Mold on the outside is usually ok, but inundated with mold are a little tough for me still.
*Cookware - nice thick bottomed pots and pans, my ever growing cast iron collection, etc. They really make the cooking experience much more pleasurable.
*Sheets and towels - thick fluffy towels that actually absorb water (cheap towels just seem to smear it around until they've been washed enough times, then they're threadbare and unpleasant to use). I may only have 4 nice towels, but I'd rather launder 4 nice towels more often than 8 crappy ones. And high thread count sheets. You don't notice a difference until your bare ass is slipping around in 700 thread count cotton. mmmm. My only exception for that is my million year old flannel sheets. I love them.
*Artisan breads - don't get me wrong, I still love the loaf of wonder-like bread to make turkey sammiches after Thanksgiving, but I've had trouble finding truly remarkable artisan breads, even at expensive markets. It's cheaper and produces a better product to make them myself I've found, and I compare every commercial bread to my product and always find myself disappointed with others. Maybe I just need to find a good bakery, but HWMBO's dad keeps telling me that my bread is the closest he's found to true breads from NJ that he's had since moving to Seattle in 85.

How about you? What are you a snob about? Has this foray into homebrewing made you snobbier about things other than beer?

I share a lot of these with you.

Beer? Yep, I was already drinking micro-beer a lot, but now that I am brewing again the BME and even some other beers that I used to think were good are completely off of the menu. I find myself talking about it alot, and realize I am probably boring my friends to death.

Coffee: My wife bought me a french press this year, fresh ground and pressed=YUM

Knives: Since I do most of the cooking, and have a competitions BBQ team, I need good knives. I also travel with mine if I'm gonna be cooking away from home.

Cookware: I got into the cast iron a few years back, now have several peices, bought a nice enamel set last year, and thick copper bottomed stainless. I never use the wifes nonstick crap anymore.

Sheets and towels: Not so much

BBQ: low and slow is the way to go! It drives me insane when people say they are going to BBQ and you know they are talking about burning some burgers and hot dogs on a grill. Whenever someone asks me to come over to a bbq, i ask what they are cooking. When they tell me I will say "Oh, so you are grilling them?" and I will usually get "Yeah, on the BBQ" :rolleyes: Most of my close friends have eaten my food, and now know the difference.

Beer (obviously) which makes me kind of sad. I bought a 12-er of Killian's cus it was 10 bucks this weekend and my fridge was empty. I almost cried when I realized I didn't like it anymore, a year ago I would have savored one or a few. Yuengling tastes bad to me now too. Damnit I can't buy micro all the time.

Food - not really. I mean I have a better palatte, I can cook better and am more familiar with different spices and such. But I'll still eat cheap cuts of steak that are braised, lunchmeat sandwiches, and hamburger helper. I'll probably always be a meat and potatoes guy.

Glassware- I was always too snobby to really drink from a can, but now I don't drink from a bottle even if its commercial; I always use a pint glass, mug, or pilsner glass. Theres still a few styles of beer glass I need to pick up, to have the appriate glass for each style. I always ask for a glass at a restaurant or such because they usually assume you'll just drink from the bottle.

Music- this is the biggie. My tastes has grown more aware of different styles, and because of this I can't stomach stuff on the radio. I am seperating early in the new year from the wife, and I think any woman I date from here on out better have an appreciation for music (and art) that at least approaches my own. Theres nothing wrong with liking a bit of super commercial radio-pop, but when thats ALL a person knows and can relate to..... its like someone thinking Budweiser is simply all there is to beer and being satisfied with that.

Nothing, made those moves a long time ago. I did get my first retired racing greyhound 6 years ago, but that's more of a smug than a snob.

I'm surprised at how many people here use straight razors. I've used one on and off for the last 5 years or so. Its a good shave, but you know, its the whole process that I like...maybe that's why I enjoy brewing beer so much, its the whole "sharpen, lather, pay attention to what the heck your are doing" thing.

I've been getting progressively worse with beer over the past 3-4 years, but it seems this past year moreso.

Toilet paper. This one should be a no-brainer, right? We bought a "cheaper" brand and that purchase came back to... err, bite us in the ass.

Gas... Rather, where im getting gas from.
After getting burned with a full tank of crap gas and a ton of work on my car, i'm much more exclusive as to where I fill up.

Beer is a given.

Pickles and chocolate, although I don't know if it can be considered snobbery or just being particular. I only eat Vlasic Whole Kosher dills and only if the jar has been open less than 3 days (the flavor changes, srsly). And I only like Hershey's milk chocolate (I will eat other chocolate in a pinch, but I won't think it's very good).

Food in general. I grew up with a mom that makes everything herself, so I find myself being very snobby about cooking. When I go to peoples' homes and they serve me canned vegetables and store-bought dinner rolls, I can't help but think of my mom's cooking. And it always amuses me when I cook things to bring to parties/potlucks/etc., and people exclaim "You cooked that yourself?" like it was some magical feat (people seem particularly impressed with desserts).

Beer, most certainly.

Coffee.

Chocolate. I used to be a HNC eater (hersheys, nestle, cadbury) but my palate has definitely matured. Its got to be above 70% cacao content to be good at all.

Beer, of course. I am not snobby about beer at all though. I just know more about it than anyone else.

Biscotti Casting programs. With so many cheap immitation programs these days it's getting harder to discern the genuine article. Any suggestions?

Has to be hosted by a chick that likes V necks tho'. Nothing less will do.

Laurels, ya' just gotta stick to those. Ya' know.

And finally,

Recycling and cleaning products.

I recycle just about everything when possible. Add that to the fact that I am a clean freak (not the wash my hands 96 times a day kind tho') and I can be pretty snobbish about what products get used around tha house.

not much, just dairy and meat. i try and make sure it hasn't been raised with hormones and antibiotics... tastes better imo, and is better for the kid.

i still swill all the ****e beers i swilled five years ago...

Beer - given
Tea - lots of good online stores and forums (costs more per ounce than hops!)
Knives - Cooking sucks without good knives
Vacuum - Love my Dyson. Best money I ever spent

I'm still using the same kitchen knives from 10 years ago. A #4 chinese meat cleaver, which I sharpen on the bottom of a coffee cup, and a victrinox paring knife. I've tried lots of other MUCH more expensive knives and still go back to the old ones.

Beer I've become less of a snob. If someone hands me a man-soda, (like bud lite) I'll drink it, and even say "Thanks!"

Things I know I've become snobby about:

Shoes. Once I realized that people actually look at your shoes (and make assumptions) I stopped wearing shoes until they fell apart. I buy better shoes, and take care of them. And strangely enough, good work shoes don't hurt my feet after a 12 hour work day. Who would have thunk it?

Watches.
My old $30 timex lasted for years. When it died, I went and bought a nice Seiko. But I really really really would like this someday:
jomashop_2034_5733748

drool.

Organic gardening. I used to compost and then dump the blue stuff all over it. Now-a-days, I will broken bottle street fight someone for using that junk. I'm big on native plants as well. And growing from seed.

I'm starting to feel a little snobbish about the internet, too. Not only have I gone FireFox, but I'm now working on a shecky blocker add on. It's going to be called the Green Couch shecky Blocker 2009 Quantum EAC Disruptor.

:tank:

I'm starting to feel a little snobbish about the internet, too. Not only have I gone FireFox, but I'm now working on a shecky blocker add on. It's going to be called the Green Couch shecky Blocker 2009 Quantum EAC Disruptor.

:tank:
You can try to keep me out, but I will find you. I WILL FIND YOU.:cross:

You just called me an EAC. I don't know whether to be honored or pissed.

Cars: I recently bought a Porsche. I will never again want to drive anything lesser. It's absolutely choice. If you ever have the chance, I highly recommend it.

Beer: Duh.

Laurel, you nailed it on the cheese. I went to the Beecher's shop in Seattle when I was up there last year and brought home some awesome cheese. I'm spoiled for life now.

I think just food in general. My wife has become a very good cook and will try to find the best ingredients when making a recipe. Good bread, cheese, and cuts of meat make all the difference in the world.

And the beer...

I've become less snobby about damn near everything since I started brewing, but I don't suspect the one caused the other.

I started out drinking Micros, my friends tried to get me to drink BMC stuff, couldn't do it then, cant do it now.

Shaving also. DE Razor with a badger brush, and shaving cream from England. Best stuff ever.

Sheets, my mother in law spoiled me.

Speakers, built my own and they are some of the best money i have ever spent.

I used to be a wine snob, then I found out they actually do make good box wine.

Aluminium, and the spelling of. (My spellchecker just told me I spelled it wrong again. (sigh)

Cheese. Ive always loved it, but it took me quite a while to find good sources in Ohio, so now I can be snobby about it again. :) Now come to think on it, I believe my first drunken rant on HBT was a cheese rant.

Hmmm hey Fingers, thanks for reminding me! carpentry!! I been a carpenter all my life, did the apprenticeship, tech college and everything. Since coming to the US I noticed that people who hack at wood call themselves carpenters. People who change their own oil call themselves mechanics....So I guess in the last 8 years I have become snobby about trade qualifications.

Tea! I can no longer ask for it in a public place. I either get lukewarm dish water poured directly from a witch's nipple, or an offering of all kinds of multi-coloured crap with such silly names as to have no meaning any more! I just want a decent cup of f*cking tea! Tea with milk and sugar made by a company that uses roller skating talking chimpanzees in their advertising campaigns! Is that too much to frigging ask for!?

edit: I just realised that last paragraph may be a bit confusing. Here are the talking chimps (Without the roller skates)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of things I'm very particular about, but I just can't bring myself to discuss them in this thread. It just seems so... well, ... snobby!

Back