What the heck is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400372941.554188.jpg

So, a friend shows me a photo of "some beer stuff" that his grandfather was wanting to get rid of, and it's an old Sabco system, which I promptly purchased. When he dropped the rig off, this little contraption was in there. Looks like it may be a FV. There's a valved hose barb on top, corny keg connectors, and a pressure relief valve on top. Thermometer in the side. The silicone tube is connected to a pickup tube at the bottom with the other end attached at the top of the FV. The silicon tube is the source of my consternation. Thought the tube on top might be a blowoff tube, but why would it need a pressure relief valve it has a blowoff tube? Pickup tube on bottom could be for dumping yeast, but there's no valve, and why the heck would I want to connect that back to the top of the FV? Never seen a contraption like this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maybe the hose connecting the two ports was just a quick way to seal up the vessel?

Even leaving out the mystery hose, I'm still trying to figure out what possible advantage such a contraption might bring to fermentation. It looks like a righteous pita to clean...

Cheers!

I'm puzzled as well. The only thing I can think off is maybe it was used as both a sight tube and a transfer hose. That's my best W.A.G. anyway. I'm betting it didn't come like that. You're going to ask him right?

Could it possibly be a very old version of the Sabco fermenter where someone connected the racking tube to the blow off tube? I have no idea about the keg connectors though.

This is akin to a barn find. I got everything as-is where-is. I might have to call Sabco on Monday to see if they can help me figure it out. The brew rig was dropped at my place with "some assembly required", so I'll probably have to call them anyway to get some info on the brewmagic rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't they use something like to clean beer lines, I saw something similar to this on another thread but it looked a lot a older. Maybe this is a newer version.

Maybe captures the co2 and forces it through the bottom to carbonate as it's fermenting?

Maybe captures the co2 and forces it through the bottom to carbonate as it's fermenting?

The whole system would be at even pressure so CO2 would not circulate. That vessel could probably be used for pressurized fermentation, but you'd have to ditch the tubing, seal it up and add a spunding.

Back