What the best way to filter dry hops out when going to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james138

Reaction score
I plan on bottling my second batch ever tomorrow. I listened to everybody's advice on here and did not use a secondary. The beer is an IPA and I did add hops to it a week after it was put in the primary. I obviously want to strain the hops out. I was thinking of using a cloth strainer and then rubber banding it to the end of the auto siphon that goes into the bottling bucket. Will this work or is there a "proper" way to do this? Thanks!

I always use whole leaf hops for dry hopping, for that one reason. Thinking logically though, I think that would work, just make sure it is sanitized.

Just rack it into the bottling bucket like normal. The hops should have settled to the bottom after a week.. I have used this strategy multiple times without issue.

I racked a dry hopped IPA on Sunday and used my bag(sanitized) that I brew in around the auto siphon and that worked great. I brew mini mashes currently and have a bag that fits over my 5 gallon pot.

Let 'em sink to the bottom and then rack from above the layer of hops. If you get a couple particles in your bottling bucket, they'll just sink to the bottom and not make it into the bottles. Even if you get some into the last bottle or two, put those last two bottles aside and make them your personal "let's see how this beer is developing" taster beers.

I agree with just racking without a filter. That's what I do when I dry hop and haven't had any issues yet... The filter on the end that goes into the bottling bucket can cause oxidation so avoid that method, a paint strainer bag around the end of the siphon that goes into the fermenter is a safer option if you feel you need to filter.

Run down to wallgreens and pick up a cheap pair of pantyhose 2 layers of that rubberbanded around the end

Dammit. Hit send before I was done typing. Stupid iPhone. Anyways, I've done that before and it worked great.

I use hop/grain sacks to dry hop with pellets/raw hops to dry hop with. Easier to keep it all clean. And what small grains do get through the sacks does indeed sink to the bottom of the bottling bucket. I can get all but a couple TBSP's of beer out,& the grainy stuff always stays behind.:mug:

Back