What temperature for secondary ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch after taking a 15 year hiatus from homebrewing. I fermented in a plastic bucket for a week and nailed the hydrometer OG and FG that the recipe called for. Now I'm moving it to a glass carboy secondary ferment. I did the primary fermentation outside using a trash-can water bath and an aquarium heater to hold the temperature at 70F. Question is, do I also need to hold the secondary fermentation at the same temperature or can I let it sit unheated at an ambient outside temperature of ~50F? From what I've read, secondary fermentation isn't real fermentation anyway, so colder may be okay. I'm doing a simple amber ale, not a lager or anything fancy.

I would say that the middle of the safe range for your yeast would be cool, as long as it is stable you shouldn't have any problems. All my beers just sit in the corner of the kitchen on the floor, I am probably the least careful person in the world with regards to this and by all accounts my beers turn out great.

By the sound of it, you used an ale yeast. If so, it will become dormant around 50 degrees. Conditioning may become problematic if the yeast is dormant. I would try to have the secondary be around the same temp as the primary for an ale.

Back