What temp and duration do you hopstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Switching my hop additions to bitter addition only and hopstand steep for my IPA/pale ales. Probably all beers

I went 155 for an hour letting it drop to 145

Whats your method?

i did a 170F 30 mins on a heady topper clone and got tons of flavor/aroma

I whirlpool holding at 170°F for 20 minutes then chill to pitching temperature (~20 minutes for the 10 gallons if I use my ss IC) with the hops still in the kettle...

Cheers!

I use boil additions the same up to the last 15min. Everything late addition (including dry hopping) I moved to a hopstand. I chill to about 175 and shut off water supply to my chiller. I leave the pump circulating the whirlpool and add the steep/hopstand for 20-25 min. with the lid on my boil pot. Just letting temp drift... Then it is the same chilling ending. ( ;

I am still playing around with hop stand amounts, hops grown in the back yard versus commercial, and a hop back a few times.

I'm doing extract brews with late extract addition (after the boil). The late extract drops the temp to 190. For the sake of simplicity, I add the hops at that time and give it 25 - 30 minutes. It's good for flavor and aroma.

I usually do an oz or dos at about 190° and go 30 minutes. I have a ton of hops and plan on making a few APA/IPA/DIPA brews this year so I must try all of the suggestions above to see what yields the best result.

Thanks for the info!

Between 150 and 158F for 20-30 minutes with a half-way stirring to resuspend the hops. I usually go for with at least 4 oz of hops.

I usually chill to about 170 and turn off the water to my immersion chiller and drop in the WP hops. The temp generally stabilizes at around 160. Leave that for 20-30 minutes, then resume chilling to pitch temps. Sometimes I add some hops at flameout, but with a Hydra chiller, I'm at or below 170 in less than 3 minutes.

I experimented with FO, 170 and 150 degree WP additions, but I didn't notice any difference.

I've done it right at flame-out, and 170. They were all different beers so I don't really know if one is better than the other. Also those had late boil additions too.

55C for 25 minutes, hard WP with a marchpump. After 25 minutes I can usually start to smell the nice things in the hops, which is telling me that every particle I smell is not making it into the final beer. Never understood why people evaporate the oils.

I remain unconvinced temperature matters that much. Certainly dont want to boil them. Brulosophy has tested this twice once fo vs 170 and once fo vs 120. Both were unreliably distinguishable. Hey, what would you expect from me. Makes sense seeing as no matter their start, the hops end up sitting in the beer until completion.

Depending on the amount of hops, but usually split in half:

170 for 30 minutes
150 for 30 minutes

Then finishing chilling

I recall years back that it was figured the hotter side (185*?) was more of a “flavoring” addition and the cooler end (155*?) was more of an “aroma” addition.

With that, at flameout, I add any sugars, honey, or extract (strong beers), and then place the wort chiller in. I’m not sure what temp I begin at as I’ve not cared to check (maybe I should), but I assume I’m around the 185* mark. I stir occasionally for 59 mins. I’ve not checked the end temp either (maybe I should).

As applescrap stated it seems when there’s a test conducted it’s hard to prove that anything worked convincingly. I’ve had in mind to test small batches comparing late addition times, whirlpools, and dry hops to see what I see.

I start chilling until I get below 180 F, kill the water, toss in my hops, stir like a madman, cover her up and start cleaning for 20 min.

Gonna have to try this.

I recently switched to shorter boils, and ditched the dry hopping. Boiling all the hops for 15 minutes for bittering and flavour and then throwing in the hopstand hops at about 70-80c for 45-60 minutes to boost the flavour and aroma sounds really interesting to me.

I do no chill brews so I wait until the wort is at 180 then toss them in, stir it up really well to create a whirl pool, then put the lid on until the next day when I put it into a fermentor.

For years I've also been doing 100% of IBU's in a FWH drop then nothing until the whirl pool, then add the dry hops in the keg if I'm doing an APA or IPA. Always comes out great to my taste buds!

I do no chill brews so I wait until the wort is at 180 then toss them in, stir it up really well to create a whirl pool, then put the lid on until the next day when I put it into a fermentor.

For years I've also been doing 100% of IBU's in a FWH drop then nothing until the whirl pool, then add the dry hops in the keg if I'm doing an APA or IPA. Always comes out great to my taste buds!
Great to know! That's what I also wanted to try.

@couchsending you seem to have some opinions on different hops at different times, any comments on certain hops at certain temps? Boil vs off boil vs cooler hopstand, etc.

Ummm I wish I could provide exact answers, I have opinions for sure but honestly I would need to make the exact same beer over and over and over again to test them to be 100% certain. I try and repeat a lot of things but I’m still messing with other process variables and honestly there are too many hops I want to try out to make the same exact hoppy beer all the time.

I do think that some hops benefit from being boiled for a certain period of time. Yes oils will volatize but they’re not the only compound in hops that creates flavor and aroma. There are ways to boil hops and extract less bitterness. Temperature is not the only variable.

Personally I’m not a big fan of just whirlpool hopping. I just like a little more depth to a flavor profile and I think boiling some hops helps with that.

For the most part I will chill to below 180/185 before I add hops in the whirlpool but that’s more to prevent DMS formation than anything else. I don’t bother with really cool whirlpool temps. It’s nearly impossible on a professional scale and there are plenty of breweries making great beers that don’t cool before whirlpooling at all.

Everything I’ve been reading and hearing from the best professional brewers is that they’re moving more and more hops out of the whirlpool and into the dry hop. The impact is so much greater. However that might not necessarily apply to home brewers as it’s very hard sometimes to mitigate o2 like the pros do.

I recently started doing hop stands. I just chuck the hops in at flame out, put the lid on and leave it for 20 mins. This seems to add a bit of bitterness (not much) but loads of flavour so I'm pleased with the results

Dms is long gone by the time you are cooling your wort. It boils off in the steam. That is why you don't want the lid on during the boil.

I always make sure that do not have a lid if the temperature is higher of 79'C and never have problem with DMS.

A bit of an aside, but not really off topic per se, but how does a hopstand/whirlpool work in regards to IBUs? I’ve seen prior that it was said it’s roughly 1/4 the IBUs with all of the flavor, but my calculator figures 10%, which is adjustable but the setting.

A bit of an aside, but not really off topic per se, but how does a hopstand/whirlpool work in regards to IBUs? I’ve seen prior that it was said it’s roughly 1/4 the IBUs with all of the flavor, but my calculator figures 10%, which is adjustable but the setting.

By my expirence, hopstand IBU after flame out is 1/2 of boil, but hopstand IBU after chilling to 75'C is 1/5 of boil. By me, that's pretty accurate.

I wonder how much hopstand affects the bitterness of hops added when boil and whether it affects it at all?
If No Chill affects as 20 minutes boil then the hopstand is likely to change the bitterness of hops added when boil.

Latest posts

Back