What style would you consider this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spelaeus

Reaction score
This is my second brew and I'm really at a loss. And while I don't care too much about style guidelines if it's not going to competition, it would be nice to be able to actually use a style name when explaining it to people. 100% brett trois fermentation, grain bill is loosely based on a Belgian golden strong:

5.5gal
OG: 1.067
FG (predicted): ~1.008
ABV (predicted): ~7.7%
IBU: 20
SRM: 6

Malts:
10lb Belgian pilsener
2lb Pale wheat
0.5lb Victory
0.5lb Honey malt

Yeast:
WLP644 Brettanomyces bruxellensis trois

Hops:
1oz Nelson Sauvin

Depending on how I feel about the flavor after primary, may get 2.5lbs of raspberries and/or dry hopped with some more Nelson. But as is... Belgian Speciality Ale? American Wild Ale? I'm at a loss.

Edit: I'm leaning towards American Wild Ale now. Initially I was thinking it would imply too much in the way of funk/sourness. But given that it's what Mo' Betta Bretta gets classified as...

This is my second brew and I'm really at a loss. And while I don't care too much about style guidelines if it's not going to competition, it would be nice to be able to actually use a style name when explaining it to people. 100% brett trois fermentation, grain bill is loosely based on a Belgian golden strong:

5.5gal
OG: 1.067
FG (predicted): ~1.008
ABV (predicted): ~7.7%
IBU: 20
SRM: 6

Malts:
10lb Belgian pilsener
2lb Pale wheat
0.5lb Victory
0.5lb Honey malt

Yeast:
WLP644 Brettanomyces bruxellensis trois

Hops:
1oz Nelson Sauvin

Depending on how I feel about the flavor after primary, may get 2.5lbs of raspberries and/or dry hopped with some more Nelson. But as is... Belgian Speciality Ale? American Wild Ale? I'm at a loss.

Edit: I'm leaning towards American Wild Ale now. Initially I was thinking it would imply too much in the way of funk/sourness. But given that it's what Mo' Betta Bretta gets classified as...

Fruit beer?? Make it and go from there. Sometimes after its in a bottle or keg your attempt at a pale ale could be closer to a amber or IPA. I would say do it taste it and call it what you think it could be.

What style??? Gangnam Style!

I agree with the poster above. Make it first, then decide what category it fits into when you get a chance to drink the final product.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a dumb question.
I would tell people:
"the grain bill is loosely based on a Belgian golden strong, 100% brett trois fermentation"

Back