What should I brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kold Brygg

Reaction score
I've stacked up on some hops, and to be fair I don't have a plan for all of them. Anyone who would like to come with some ideas?

What I have:

Well known varieties:
Amarillo 8 oz (no problem to throw these into an IPA or a wheat ale).
Columbus 12 oz (I plan to use this in a Trillium inspired brew)
Comet 4 oz (will most like go into a APA or IPA)
Nelson Sauvin 4 oz (will most like go into a APA or IPA)
Pacific Gem 4 oz (planned to use this in a NZIPA, but re-decided because of some negative reviews. Could they work in a Australian Sparkling Ale, stout/ porter or Black IPA?)

Some newer or unknown varieties:
Ariana 4 oz (New German hop which is developed to compete with American/ Pacific hops, I suppose a APA or IPA could be made).
Barbe Rouge 4oz (French hop which I might use in a Biere de Garde (either blonde or ambree), but I suspect I'll need to pair it with a more earthy/ herbal/ spicy hop like Strisselspalt/Aramis/Triskel, whatever I choose I'll have plenty leftover to play with)
Mistral 4 oz (See above)
Monroe 4 oz (German low alpha, I'm very unsure what to do with this. Wheat/ Altbier/ APA)?
Opal 4 oz (More of a nobel variety, I'll guess it would work in a Saison, Kölsch, Altbier etc.)
Yellow Sub 4 oz (New German hop which is developed to compete with American/ Pacific hops (amarillo-esque), I suppose a APA or IPA could be made). Maybe a Gumballhead clone?

Have anybody experience with any of these? Would you suggest ideas or recipe based on my current stock? I'd like to use some of these before I buy new ones.

Nelson Sauvin 4 oz (will most like go into a APA or IPA)

My mother-in-law typically has a glass of NZ Sauvignon Blanc in hand until I come over and she gladly drinks my homebrew. I've been mulling over a beer just for her: a blonde or pils/wheat pale ale featuring Nelson Sauvin. Might even convince my father-in-law to put down the grape for a glass or two.

Yeah a Nelson wheat/blonde seems tasty 🤔.

After making this thread my head started spinning a bit. The Trillium street series have just Columbus on the hotside. I could easily do a spilt exchanging El Dorado with Ariana/ Nelson into 2 fermentors. Alternatively use Amarillo/ Yellow Sub into 2 different fermentors.

How about a Belgian Wit. I use Amarillo hops in mine and its fantastic. I love Amarillo hops , one of my favorites

I haven't thought of a Amarillo wit. Amarillo works excellent with wheat, currently I have a white IPA with Amarillo and Wai-Iti. Quite satisfied with that.

Amarillo wit is on the list.

Lol I did know there was hops with such a magnificent name! I actually ordered some and it was quite hard to find!

Planning on a Irish red ale maybe.

Barbarossa means red beard and in French is barbe rouge. Love it. Hope it's good, I see a lot of potential.

Lol I did know there was hops with such a magnificent name! I actually ordered some and it was quite hard to find!

Planning on a Irish red ale maybe.

Barbarossa means red beard and in French is barbe rouge. Love it. Hope it's good, I see a lot of potential.
Cool report when you've brewed it.

I've played with a couple of Biere de Garde Ambree recipes, but haven't concluded yet.
https://share.brewfather.app/4mNa8fB19Zd3F2
https://share.brewfather.app/2Jx9UTW48qPBHQ

Back