WLP644 Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois - Intended Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
Gentlemen, we all well know that the WLP644, formerly marketed as a Bruxellensis yeast, is not really a Bruxellensis but a unique Saccharomyces strain. Searching for preferred styles to brew with it, most often I find success stories of IPAs, APAs, New-World-hopped ales and other modern styles.
What I fail to find however is what was the original use for this yeast?
It's known WLP acquired it from the "3 Fonteinen" (hence the "trois" in name) brewery in Flanders. I can't find which beers the brewery might brew with this strain now: it seems nowadays it produces just gueuzes and krieks.

It's improbable that this unique Belgian strain was from the very beginning specifically bred for use in modern styles. So, my question is, which traditional Belgian styles they in Belgium used to brew with wild-like Saccharomyces yeasts like WLP644?
Of course, WLP644 fits well many styles, both modern and traditional. It would be nice however to find out the original intended use for this yeast.

I doubt very much that the strain was "bred" (selected) for any particular use. If the strain did come from 3 Fonteinen, it was likely isolated/cultured from one of their lambics. And since their lambic process involves open coolships and spontaneous fermentations, the strain would have been one that just happened to land in a lambic fermentation.

I see. So, WLP644 is most probably a strain artificially selected by WLP from a wider wild-fermentation array. Then it seems like a truly wild strain although not a Bruxellenses. Which means, general guidelines for "wild-fermented" beers apply.

I thought that someway it might be a strain that some traditional Belgian beers were brewed with. And was seeking what kind of beers were that.

I've used it a few times, though always blended with other yeasts. While it's not Brett, it's fruitiness reminds me of the fruitiness that some Brett strains kick off (Claussenii especially). But without much funk. It's also much faster.

It's a rare POF- STA1+ strain and intensely tropical. IIRC it's also really heavy on beta-glucosidase (which current research is saying is the enzyme responsible for the biotransformation of hop compounds and the associated haze in hazy IPAs). The problem is that, in my experience, it does behave like diastaticus, inching down at the end of fermentation to a very dry level, and eating into the mouthfeel you'd want in a "strict" NEIPA. But if you work it into a blend it makes for great hybrid hoppy farmhouse beers. Sacch Trois and Conan work very well together (as long as it's given time to attenuate and you don't dry hop too early).

Back