What style is this? Added 1lb of chocolate to Amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman717

Reaction score
So I cruised down to Northern Brewer yesterday and picked up:

10lbs Rahr Pale Ale
2lbs Briess Caramel 60L
1lb English Chocolate Malt

Now I was planning on using a dash of the chocolate malt just to add some color. Of course, as I was hastily pouring bags of grains into the mash tun I accidentally poured THE WHOLE POUND of chocolate malt in. I didn't even realize it until after I had already mixed it all together and went to add the dash of chocolate when I realized the bag was empty....haha.

So the starting gravity was 58. Everything else is normal for an amber ale....a couple ounces of centennial hops and WLP001 - California blend.

I'm sure the brew will turn out tasting great, but I'm wondering if this is no longer and amber ale but instead is now some sort of Amber-Brown hybrid?? How would you guys classify this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hmm looks like you're right. I haven't yet brewed a brown so I guess I didn't realize the only real difference is just adding a bit more chocolate! Maybe a little overkill here but hey I'm sure it will be a good dessert beer, haha!

I just wanted to give an update to this thread. This beer actually came out pretty delicious! Very chocolatey, that's for sure, but most of the chocolate is found lingering after the initial taste. I'd brew this again with a few tweaks to the recipe.

Back