What size/type kettle for 10 gallons out into 2 corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PersonalBrewer

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, thinking about BIAB - would often want ten gallons final - so I'm thinking allowing a bit for leaving some wort in the kettle and losing some to trub in the fermenter

Would 20 gals be about right? What sort of features are desireable? Spigot and what else?

A 20 gal kettle will work fine for most 10 gallon BIAB batches. However, if you plan to brew very high gravity brews, like RIS, barleywines, etc., you should check a BIAB volumes calculator to make sure you can fit the huge grainbill + water in it to allow for a finished 10 gal. batch. The grain bill alone may be 40-50 lbs. for a high-gravity brew. Boiloff will take a gallon or more, plus you're accounting for some left in the kettle, and trub in the fermenter. You might want to consider 25 gal. if you want to do some big beers.

You can certainly get high-quality bags for those kettles. Wilserbrewer (HBT sponsor) can custom make one for whatever kettle you get.

Rule of thumb: Kettle Size = 2X batch size. I sometimes do 10 gallon batches in my 16 gallon kettle and cannot do full volume mash for a medium gravity recipe, 1.050. While I can manage (top it off to pre-boil volume at the end of mash), ideal size would be 20. This also helps during a hot break, so you don't have to worry about overflow.

That's a great link to the calculator, thanks.

I'm going to have to think about if I do high gravity just doing one five gallon batch.

I actually prefer higher gravity, and higher ABV. However, I can't drink as many of them so am exploring lesser brews and trying to keep it around max of 6% ABV, preferably a bit lower.

Rule of thumb: Kettle Size = 2X batch size. I sometimes do 10 gallon batches in my 16 gallon kettle and cannot do full volume mash for a medium gravity recipe, 1.050. While I can manage (top it off to pre-boil volume at the end of mash), ideal size would be 20. This also helps during a hot break, so you don't have to worry about overflow.

This is right on.

The downside of going big is that it can make a smaller batch harder. If you use a false bottom or basket you can have a hard time submerging the grain. If you use an immersion chiller it might not be submerged, etc.

I have been happy with the 15 gallon size even though it means I have to top off before the boil when I'm doing a 10g 1.060 batch. I still have plenty of room for most of my brewing, and I find electric much less prone to boiling over than gas.

If I was doing more 10 gallon batches than 5 I would go with a 20g pot.

@BeardedBrews
How much water do you leave out of the mash, or how much room do you give yourself in the kettle? When you top up, do you use the top up water to sparge or do you just dump it in?

@BeardedBrews
How much water do you leave out of the mash, or how much room do you give yourself in the kettle? When you top up, do you use the top up water to sparge or do you just dump it in?

I will add the full volume of water, 15 gallons for example, and heat it all to strike temperature. I'll add any minerals and acid at that point too. Then, right before I dough in I will run 4-5 gallons of the water into a clean bucket. Once I've got the grain mostly stirred I put as much water back in as I can, stir gently since it's full to the top, and close the lid.

At the end of the mash I'll pull the grain out and dump the rest of the water that's left in the bucket into the kettle while the bag is draining. With a bag it was too much of a pain to dunk in the size buckets I have, and pour over just made a mess. Now that I have a basket I will probably try pouring through the basket and see what happens.

Back