What size hoses for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoryMc

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I recently bought an Igloo Kegerator in Costco. It works great so couldn't be happier, finally draught beer at home. I picked a Belgian Wit from the local Microbrewery and my only concern is how fast I'm drinking it :tank: The only thing is it came with a sankey connection which is good for kegs from breweries but I recently bought some ball lock kegs online for my own beer, so need to change the connections to Ball lock. This requires a bit of extra line tubing to be bought. However I'm not exactly sure what line to buy. The lines in there are 5/16 OD for beer and 1/4OD for Gas but its not marked anywhere what the ID is. I just want to extend the existing lines and use MFL swivel nuts to make for easy swapping but all the hoses I found are marked with the ID size. Im in the middle of an order on Toronto Homebrew and want to put the lines in with this order.

Any help is greatlt appreciated.

You'll want 3/16" ID beverage line. It's usually 5/16" OD.

edit: corrected that's 7/16" OD - day trippr has it correct below

I got the info from this site.I forget exactly but I think its labeled Lead free.I don't pick up any off flavors.Im sure someone else will chime in

I added to the stock 5 ft lines and It looked like I got co2 breakout at the connection.I eventually ran a whole new 10 ft line from the tap.The line is cheap enough...

So the "standard" dispensing tubing is 3/16" ID/7/16" OD PVC (eg: for actual beer line, Bevlex 200).

If you even see 3/16" ID vinyl tubing in a big box store, it's always thin wall, usually with the Watts logo. While it may be "safe", I wouldn't use it in a beer dispensing system...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Ive decided to just get all new hose and connections for the ball locks. Proper hoses and all on toronto. Seemed easier than spliting lines.

If you ever want to use the same lines, the best way is to get flared fittings for all your connections, and that way you can use your soda keg disconnects directly, and the sanke disconnect you modify the tail pieces to have the flared fitting so that you can use them as well.

Back