What size fridge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kproudfoot

Reaction score
What size fridge/freezer would you think (minimum) you’d need for a 10 gallon spike fermentor?

I just ordered and at some point either want their temp control package (heat and cooling is $375) or want a small fridge with temp control. I figure the fridge is probably cheaper but takes up more space (and you don’t see the pretty fermentor). The other advantage of the fridge/freezer other than price would seem to be easier to cool since your not dealing with constantly adding ice.

Thoughts?

With the fridge, you'll need/want a digital controller also, so add that to your cost equation.

What is the temp control package? Sounds interesting.

With the fridge, you'll need/want a digital controller also, so add that to your cost equation.

What is the temp control package? Sounds interesting.

Correct but I saw the inkbird dual for like $30. I’d obviously need a freezer (cheap used one) and potentially a heat source. I figure the price should be too bad.

Spike offers this system to heat and cool. The 10 gallon version with heat is $375 though and that doesn’t include a way to keep ice cold.

While I think the freezer option probably works better the cons are (in my opinion and slightly vane) more space and conical is hidden. But I bet it’s significantly cheaper option.

IMG_4521.jpg

I've been thinking the same for my CF5. I'm thinking of getting the TC-100 and a mini fridge with a pail inside with water for a "Cold Water Source"

I've been thinking the same for my CF5. I'm thinking of getting the TC-100 and a mini fridge with a pail inside with water for a "Cold Water Source"

That was kind of my thought if I go the Spike route. A cooler of ice seems difficult.

If you want to save a little space, it's not hard to make your own glycol chiller. And fairly cheap. Might be an option to consider.

If you want to save a little space, it's not hard to make your own glycol chiller. And fairly cheap. Might be an option to consider.

Thought of that as well. It’s more the cost all in. The spike system is $375 plus I’m guessing a few hundred for glycol chiller. I’m
Assuming I can do the freezer route for under $200 all in.

I figured I went bigger and got a chiller for a conical I would use my current fermenter chamber, a small chest freezer with temp controller, to hold the cold water/glycol and run the tubing through a collar like you would put on a keezer.

If you're a bit handy, making a glycol chiller is cheap. Mine was build for under $75 with an AC I found on craigslist for about $40.

But yes, the easiest method is likely just finding a fridge/freezer that's large enough to put the whole conical in.

I figured I went bigger and got a chiller for a conical I would use my current fermenter chamber, a small chest freezer with temp controller, to hold the cold water/glycol and run the tubing through a collar like you would put on a keezer.

That’s an idea. I could keep the fermentor next to my fridge/kegerator and run the lines into it and keep a cold water source in the fridge.

Still a big difference in price though.

If you're a bit handy, making a glycol chiller is cheap. Mine was build for under $75 with an AC I found on craigslist for about $40.

But yes, the easiest method is likely just finding a fridge/freezer that's large enough to put the whole conical in.

I’m definitely going to investigate this. It’s really do I want to spend he $375 for the spike system or just buy a freezer. I just really hate to put that pretty thing in a freezer.

Aside form the coil that goes into the fermenter, you can build an equivalent to the spike system for cheaper, which will leave room in the budget for a DIY glycol build. Inkbird PID controllers with relay and thermocouple are about $35 on Amazon...use that to power an aquarium/pond pump (about $20) to move your glycol/cold water through the coil. Add a few bucks for hoses, fittings, wiring etc and you are in business. Haven't done it yet myself but that's my plan when I pull the trigger on a conical

In the end, you're hopefully investing in a setup that'll last you a long time. You're in a decent amount of money on the conical, I'd recommend going with their system and the glycol. Building your own system may save you 100-200$. Could cost you more if you go the brewpi route.

I built my own glycol unit and think it came under $100 with a Craigslist AC unit. It'll be even cheaper if you have scrap wood and an old cooler lying around. Very happy with the system that came with my brewtech system.

In the end, you're hopefully investing in a setup that'll last you a long time. You're in a decent amount of money on the conical, I'd recommend going with their system and the glycol. Building your own system may save you 100-200$. Could cost you more if you go the brewpi route.

I built my own glycol unit and think it came under $100 with a Craigslist AC unit. It'll be even cheaper if you have scrap wood and an old cooler lying around. Very happy with the system that came with my brewtech system.

Yeah I definitely have a few dollars into it all ready. I most likely will invest in their system at some point. I can save a few dollars on a pump and temp control but not much. It’s the heater, wrap and coils that are the big expense. I’ll defiantly look into a DIY glycol build as I do have scrap wood and cooler.

Yeah I definitely have a few dollars into it all ready. I most likely will invest in their system at some point. I can save a few dollars on a pump and temp control but not much. It’s the heater, wrap and coils that are the big expense. I’ll defiantly look into a DIY glycol build as I do have scrap wood and cooler.
Ahh, yeah. Thats right. I believe that's why I went with the brewtech one up front as the Spike one was death by many cuts with all the 'optional but not optional' components.

Ahh, yeah. Thats right. I believe that's why I went with the brewtech one up front as the Spike one was death by many cuts with all the 'optional but not optional' components.

I’m the end they were both pretty close to the same. But spike starts lower but you need stuff for it to be function where brewtech started higher but included a little more. I think spike went he route they did because so many people do things so differently they figured this way it was easier to customize.

My big issue with both companies and all others that make conicals is you need a way to get the beer out. You either need to use pressure, but leg extensions or elevate the conical to start. Other than elevating to start there is a pretty significant expense.

My big issue with both companies and all others that make conicals is you need a way to get the beer out. You either need to use pressure, but leg extensions or elevate the conical to start. Other than elevating to start there is a pretty significant expense.
Yeah I went the co2 route to do pressure transfers. Works really well. Also liked the smaller seal on the brewtech at the top rather than the whole lid of the Spike. Personal preference but you're right the prices were very close.

Yeah I went the co2 route to do pressure transfers. Works really well. Also liked the smaller seal on the brewtech at the top rather than the whole lid of the Spike. Personal preference but you're right the prices were very close.

I’m doing co2 as well. I like it because it’s less space than having the legs. I just thought the spike looked a little cooler and I like a few other features like the coil on the lid rather than the side.

Dumb question but do you carbonate in the conical? Spike sells a carb stone to carbonate quickly but I’m wondering if that’s necessary? If I hook up co2 to the gas manifold wouldn’t the beer still carbonate like it would i a keg just slower? I would think the higher temp would cause it to take longer but figure if I pressurize the last 2 week on fermentation is be good.

Dumb question but do you carbonate in the conical? Spike sells a carb stone to carbonate quickly but I’m wondering if that’s necessary? If I hook up co2 to the gas manifold wouldn’t the beer still carbonate like it would i a keg just slower? I would think the higher temp would cause it to take longer but figure if I pressurize the last 2 week on fermentation is be good.
Yes I carbed in the unitank while cold crashing. the carb stone sped the process up over forcing from top down. The unitank also has a higher PSI limit so I'm playing with closing off the relief valve and using the spunding method to naturally carb at the end of fermentation.

Yes I carbed in the unitank while cold crashing. the carb stone sped the process up over forcing from top down. The unitank also has a higher PSI limit so I'm playing with closing off the relief valve and using the spunding method to naturally carb at the end of fermentation.

Ok thanks. I figured it would work just slower. With what I spent initially I didn’t want to spend the extra $65.

I just got a 10 gallon Spike fermenter, but prior to that I always used Bigmouth Bubblers. There was no way to get the beer out of those without elevating them.

Not sure why a conical should be different.

And that said, the leg extensions are $32 right now on sale, regular price $40. I don't consider that a significant expense--though you do need to add some sort of base plate to solidify them. The Spike one was another $40 for me.

Last edited:

Ok thanks. I figured it would work just slower. With what I spent initially I didn’t want to spend the extra $65.

I just got a 10 gallon Spike fermenter, but prior to that I always used Bigmouth Bubblers. There was no way to get the beer out of that without elevating it.

Big mouth bubblers are only 5 gallons. I have the 10 gall fermentor so double the weight otherwise you would be correct. Plus I’d think the conicals would be awkward to pick up.

Big mouth bubblers are only 5 gallons. I have the 10 gall fermentor so double the weight otherwise you would be correct. Plus I’d think the conicals would be awkward to pick up.
Yeah they are quite heavy. Even moving them on casters isn't the easiest thing.

I just got a 10 gallon Spike fermenter, but prior to that I always used Bigmouth Bubblers. There was no way to get the beer out of those without elevating them.

And that said, the leg extensions are $32 right now on sale, regular price $40. I don't consider that a significant expense--though you do need to add some sort of base plate to solidify them. The Spike one was another $40 for me.

I just ordered a set of legs, the bracing shelf and a set of casters. They were on sale so it was time to buy.

I must not have been clear. You were going to have to either pressurize, use a pump, or elevate the fermenter. There's no other alternative so I don't know what you were looking for.

And yeah, the BMBs are 5 gallons, but so what? The point was that even with the smaller BMB, it still had to be elevated, so I don't know why you're surprised that something would have to be done w/ the Spike conical.

I just bought a CF 10, and it was obvious from the get-go that I'd need some method to get the beer out. I chose the leg extensions in part because I can use gravity to rack into a keg, plus if I'm drawing off trub or yeast, I don't have to be crouching down on my hands and knees to do it. In fact, there's no way to add that sight glass and butterfly valve and 90-degree extension without the leg extensions--or a way to elevate the conical with a hole cut out for those things.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but it is what it is. It's a high-end conical. I've nearly gone to the poorhouse to outfit this--well, not really--but I decided I wanted the best I could get as I set this up. I've sold off about $1300 of stuff to help pay for this. And all it will do is produce beer, which my BMBs already did!

FWIW, I think the temp control kit is a bit pricey for what it is. If I'd had an easy way to put the conical in a refrigerator I think I'd have gone that route. Much easier if we can isolate the fermenter from ambient conditions, IMO. The flip side is that if we can get cold enough fluid (water plus propylene glycol) we should be able to crash in a hurry if that should be desirable.

Awaiting diassembly and installation of the Temp Control kit:

spikeconical.jpg

I must not have been clear. You were going to have to either pressurize, use a pump, or elevate the fermenter. There's no other alternative so I don't know what you were looking for.

And yeah, the BMBs are 5 gallons, but so what? The point was that even with the smaller BMB, it still had to be elevated, so I don't know why you're surprised that something would have to be done w/ the Spike conical.

I just bought a CF 10, and it was obvious from the get-go that I'd need some method to get the beer out. I chose the leg extensions in part because I can use gravity to rack into a keg, plus if I'm drawing off trub or yeast, I don't have to be crouching down on my hands and knees to do it. In fact, there's no way to add that sight glass and butterfly valve and 90-degree extension without the leg extensions--or a way to elevate the conical with a hole cut out for those things.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but it is what it is. It's a high-end conical. I've nearly gone to the poorhouse to outfit this--well, not really--but I decided I wanted the best I could get as I set this up. I've sold off about $1300 of stuff to help pay for this. And all it will do is produce beer, which my BMBs already did!

FWIW, I think the temp control kit is a bit pricey for what it is. If I'd had an easy way to put the conical in a refrigerator I think I'd have gone that route. Much easier if we can isolate the fermenter from ambient conditions, IMO. The flip side is that if we can get cold enough fluid (water plus propylene glycol) we should be able to crash in a hurry if that should be desirable.

Awaiting diassembly and installation of the Temp Control kit:

View attachment 564932

No problem and I get what you are saying. My initial point is all the company sell basically a stripped down version and the price doesn’t look nearly as bad as after adding needed accessories but that allows for individualizations. If they included legs, casters and gas manifolds in all the prices would be ridiculous and parts would be used.

I also agree the fridge route is the better way to go for the reasons you mention. My buddy bought a jackable table at harbor freight, he puts the fermentor on it and fills it on brew day. Wheels it to his fermentation chamber lifts the table to the right height and slides it in. The problem is the tables are like $180.

Would love to see a picture of this setup...it sounds like a fun build!

Back