What size cooler to dispense a keg in the horizontal position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahave

Reaction score
I am planning a camping trip and am looking into cheap/easy ways of getting some homebrew to the campfire. My thoughts are just to use a 5ft picnic tap with a co2 canister charging system (or if $$ permits a paintball reg system).

I have a slightly modified dip tube that should allow me to dispense from a keg on its side. My question is what size of a cooler is needed to hold a keg on its side? 100 qt? 150? and does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

I would gues one that is about 26" long and at least 9" wide, best way is to measure your keg (with QDs and all) and find a cooler that will fit it. The volume won't tell you much about the actual dimensions of it (i.e. you could get away with 50 qt if you found the perfect shaped cooler, 28" x 10" x 10", but I doubt you will).

yes, yes I have a measuring tape - but most online shops don't list internal dimensions (that I have found at least). Plus there are also other things to consider like the wheel hump that takes away internal space. Which is why I am asking if anyone else has done this type of thing before.

Its going to be very hit and miss I think, basically without actually measuring the cooler you are setting yourself up for a mistake. Do you have any sporting goods/camping/general stores in your area (I have actually heard of Knoxville, TN so I would say you must). Otherwise it would be a matter of looking at the approx proportions of the cooler (w x d x h) and working out the dimensions from that and the capacity, and making sure you have given yourself plenty of contingency for stuff like the wheel humps, etc.
Good luck but I can see a chance of disapointment and a cooler that is much bigger than required.

why not just grab a bucket for 5 bucks and drop your keg in there with ice water? the ice will keep the keg cold, even if its not completely submerged. thats what i would do anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I did not think of extra space just being more ice storage... makes perfect sense. I found a marine cooler on CL that I am going to check out, it should be plenty big. And yes, I will bring my tape measure :p

Under normal circumstances I would just use a bucket, but this is a multi day event (bonnaroo) and I would like to be able to drink beer the whole time and not have to bring BMC cans. (you cant bring glass)

Thanks again!

Ok, I just ran to the garage to check this out. I have a 90 Qt. Igloo that will only hold 1 Cornie but will have plenty room left over for ice, mugs...but no Co2. Internal measures29-30"x12"X14" high. I also have a 120 Qt. Igloo which fit 2 Cornies with lots of extra space (3 Cornies would leave the lid cracked with a 5" gap). You MIGHT be able to fit a 5lb. tank standing (My 10lb. tank is to high being 22" tall). Internal measures 36"x14"x16" high.

Latest posts

Back