Issues Dispensing and/or Bottling Sodas and Cocktails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docdefeo

Reaction score
Howdy -

I've been having a ton of problems with both dispensing and canning highly-carbonated soda and carbonated cocktails. Following multiple sets of advice and approaches, all of which do not seem to work. The main problem is CO2 coming out of solution in the line or at the point of dispensing. Some have recommending purging the keg and dispensing at a low PSI like <5. This does not work as the CO2 immediately starts coming out of solution in the line and it's all big co2 bubbles. The only way to keep the liquid integrity is to dispense at greater than 40 psi, and obviously this does not bode well coming out of the bottle filler. It is too high for a blichmann and out of a counter pressure bottle filler it still bubbles too much. Too high pressure for a picnic tap even with (4!) epoxy mixers in dip tube AND one in a Maltose Falcon-esque line restrictor.

For reference: I am force carbonating in a corny keg to 50 psi at less than 32F. What is in the keg is very, very carbonated and ice cold, but I cannot keep the carbonation from coming out of solution when dispensing. I have tested this with both water and with the cocktails themselves. I would imagine this is an almost identical problem to what people face with Root Beer.

Things I have tried:
1) Flow restrictors (in-line, ball lock disconnect, epoxy mixers in dip tube)
2) purging keg and dispensing at 1-5 psi (this is by far the worst result, nothing but air bubbles and gaps in the line)
3) balancing the system somewhat with long line (used 25 feet of 3/16 and there was no discernible difference, even with the addition of flow restrictors)

Any pointers/recommendations would be welcome. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something, but... at this point I'm getting convinced that without a counter pressure canner, it is impossible.

Any pointers/recommendations would be welcome. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something, but... at this point I'm getting convinced that without a counter pressure canner, it is impossible.

Probably.

Also check your thermometer- if you're bottling soda that is less than 32 degrees F, it's ice.

You could try the epoxy mixers, a super long line, and a beergun but even then I'm not sure you can bottle 9 volumes of c02 (or whatever that supercarbonated level is, since it's not possibly under 32 degrees for the nonalcoholic soda).

Probably.

Also check your thermometer- if you're bottling soda that is less than 32 degrees F, it's ice.

You could try the epoxy mixers, a super long line, and a beergun but even then I'm not sure you can bottle 9 volumes of c02 (or whatever that supercarbonated level is, since it's not possibly under 32 degrees for the nonalcoholic soda).
I should clarify that the sub-32 degree measurement is when it's a cocktail--not just water. Cocktails will get lower than 32 degrees when iced due to the alcohol content, thermal equilibrium being around 18-20 degrees.

I guess one problem is that all the carbonation charts I've seen end at 4.99 volumes, and most cocktail carbonation instructions specify 42-60 psi for carbonating at 32 degrees.

I should clarify that the sub-32 degree measurement is when it's a cocktail--not just water. Cocktails will get lower than 32 degrees when iced due to the alcohol content, thermal equilibrium being around 18-20 degrees.

I guess one problem is that all the carbonation charts I've seen end at 4.99 volumes, and most cocktail carbonation instructions specify 42-60 psi for carbonating at 32 degrees.

Yes, that's a very very high carb level, and I don't know how to get it into bottles with the equipment that I would have.

Latest posts

Back