What size batches do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Whenever I think of brewing a batch, I automatically think of 5 gallons, even though I know that some folks do three and even one gallon recipes. What do you do and why? Does it vary? If so, what does it depend on?

Most of my batches are 11 gallons. I split the batch with my brew partner and the extra gallon makes up for dead spaces in my system and hop absorption.

Mostly 5 gallon. Smaller, with BIAB in the kitchen. I have a glass top stove and don't want to try 6.5 to 7 gallons on it. I don't want to spend a lot of time on 1 gallon batches (unless experimenting) for so little beer. I don't want 10 gallons or more of one style. For 10 gallons I would rather brew two five gallon batches of different beers.

I used to brew 10 gallons now I do 3 or 5 gallons since I don't drink as much beer as I used to.

11 gallons
Exact same brew day as 5 gallons with twice the beer.The only difference is the size of the pot..EBIAB

I brew 5 gal batches. It is about right for one keg to last while two brews are in the fermenting, diacetyl rest, cold crashing, fining, carbing cycle.

I typically do 11 gallon batches and split them up between yeast and dry hops to compare. Sometimes I'll do a standard 5-6 gallon batch but since it takes virtually the same amount of time to do 11 gallons, that's usually what I plan for.

I generally do 11 gallon batches. It's the same amount of work and cleaning as 5 gallons but with twice as much beer. Rarely, I'll do a smaller sized batch of something I don't drink tons of, like stout. Then I'll do a 5 gallon sized batch.

Whenever I think of brewing a batch, I automatically think of 5 gallons, even though I know that some folks do three and even one gallon recipes. What do you do and why? Does it vary? If so, what does it depend on?

Used to do mostly 5G but now I switched to 10 or 15 gallon batches (it often ends up being more like 12G and 17-18G for amount of wort collected). I can then split them into different 5-6G batches and use different yeast, dry hop, fruit etc additions

Mostly 2.5 just did a 5 gallon for a party, to go any bigger than that I'd need a totally different set up, and a a much bigger appetite for beer.:D

5, with a yield of 4.5 to 4 gallons after losses. I am moving to 2.5 gallons for less cost and so my batches disappear before they are past their prime.

I do between 10 and 12 gallons - all grain. I generally like to keg five gallons and then bottle the rest, as I tend to drink with my friends or family and like to have bottles to take with me. I agree that it is basically the same amount of effort and time to brew ten or twelve gallons as it is to brew 5 gallons. Every once in a while i'll brew a 5 gallon extract or BIAB if I've got the itch to brew, need something that will be ready to drink quickly, and don't feel like setting up the RIMS/ three kettle system.

2.5 gallons usually. I'm surprised by people doing 3 gallons. 5 gallons is too much for my wife and I to drink. I wouldnt get to brew very often if i did 5. I have a keggerafor and occasionally do 5 to fill it but prefer commercial in my kergerator and my homebrew in bottles to take to parties and stuff. And since most recipes and calculations are done for 5 gallons I like the easy math of 2.5 over trying to figure out 3. And when I occasionally do 5 its easy to double my personal recipes.

I've only ever done 5 gallon extract batches but I'm planning on moving to 2.5-3 gallon all-grain batches soon. The idea is moving to AG using the equipment I have rather than upgrading.

3, 5, and 10. I was doing all 10 for a while but it was too much beer for us and I like to brew more often. With all grain you need to adjust for efficiency anyway so converting to any batch size doesn't bother me.

5 gallon batches. I like to have a wide variety on tap and 10 would be too much (although I could do different yeast / dry hop combos I guess).

I aim to have 11 gal of wort to ferment at the end of a brew. With the end goal of 2 full five gal kegs of finished beer

My very first brew I did a 1 gallon all grain kit. After that, I jumped to 4-5.5 gallon brews. However I'm going to save my money and get the equipment to go up to 20-30 gallon brews. Why? Because it generally takes about the same amount of time like others have mentioned to do 1 gallon, 5, 10, 20 gallons. All grain of course. Not to mention, if you're going to invest literally one full day of brewing and all the work it entails, you want as much brew as possible.

Funny how many people poo poo the more automatic systems that simplify the process because they like the brewing process. But so many people brew larger batches as it reduces the process/work. Funny.

I have a Zymatic that keeps all the brewing expertise in place if wanted , and removes only the babysitting part of hop addition, and makes it so simple that 2.5 gal batches are quick and easy.

Each to their own. YMMV. Brew on.

Usually 5.5 gallons, every once in a while I'll do a 1 gallon BIAB if I want to try something new that I might not want a full batch of. I've cultured a couple yeasts up from bottles, so I've made single gallons to ease them back into active duty as well.

5 gallon - pretty much all kits (all-grain or extract) are that way so I try to buy ingredients when they're on special (buy 2 kits get 1 free) etc. Plus, that's the size my equipment allows. I usually tire of a beer I've made after 45-52 of them anyhow, so I am not interested in ever making bigger batches.

19L to 28L (5 to 7gal) depending on which fermenter I have available and whether it's going to keg or bottle. I'd rather have batches half that size though, as I like to brew more and have more variety (I give away over half my beer). Smaller batches don't work with standard fermenters and kegs though.

Usually 2.75 gallon BIAB or 5.5 gallon with my three vessel system. I'm going to upsize my HLT and start doing 11 gallon batches of some of my more popular beers though. We go through them too fast for it to be practical to only brew 5.5 gallons.

I like others brew 11 gal batches to try and net to full 5 gal kegs. I estimated it takes about 15-20 additional minutes to brew 11 vs. 5.5 (little bit extra time grinding grains, spliting into 2 fermenters)

I've also been doing back to back brews at times. Your setup/teardown/cleanup will be mostly the same regardless of how much you brew. so throwing in 1 additional 5.5 or 11 gal brew can still be a time saver.

Once our friends found out I made good beer we seem to host more at our house. Go figure. That puts a dent in the existing beer supply forcing more brews. Although I am amused at how many of the women I've got to try my vanilla or chocolate porters and realize they do like dark beers.

2.5 and 5 gallon batches. I have a 2.5 gallon keg (for compressor hump in freezer) and a bunch of 5 gallon kegs. So I like to brew batches accordingly so I get full kegs. I love brewing both sizes and the smaller batches are for styles I might not want 5 gallons of.

6 gallons if I'm trying something new, 12 gallons if I already know the outcome. Lots of times we will do 12 gallon batches. Start at 7 am and be done around 2.

5.5 gallon in the fermentor...5 gallons into the keg...my current setup only allows 5 gallons which is fine by me I only brew 8-10 times a year depending on family gatherings hosting parties, etc. I have a two tap system and currently the only one who drinks beer in the house (SWMBO is 7 months pregnant) so I get to brew what I want, when I want and try different things...if I don't like one I give more out/bring to gatherings more.

Also, I like sharing with my rotating brew partners (friends/brother/sister) so it allows me to enjoy it as well as share some

:ban:

12.5 or 16.5 gallon batches. I split with 2 or 3 yeasts. I got tired of running out. I have a lot of friends that stop in and have a few pints. I just fill kegs and let them condition. Plus I don't have to brew as frequently.

"5 gallon" batches.... actually 4.5 or 4.75 since I use 5 gallon pails to ferment in.

I did just brew 1.75 of Guinness, I don't really want to have 2 cases of it around. I think I'll continue to do smaller batches of new or experimental beers.

Thinking about doing some double brew days as my pipeline is getting low and I haven't had time to brew. I can't jump up to 10g without buying a new kettle so 2x 5 seems like the next step.

Mostly 2 gallon batches. I like brewing often,having variety on hand, and my boyfriend & I really don't drink that much. Plus I do stovetop BIAB; lifting & squeezing much more than 2 gallons worth would be a pain

I used to do 5 gallon batches only. But now I like doing 8 gallons. 5 in a keg and 3 in bottles. I like having some bottles around to give to friends or take to party's

5 gallons works best for me.

I understand for the same amount of time I could do a 10 gallon batch and have twice as much beer. But you could say the same thing about 10 gallons ... for the same amount of time you could do a 20 gallon batch and have twice as much beer.

Keep up with that logic and pretty soon you've got 100 barrel batches.

Usually about 8 Gallons into fermenters yielding 7.5 gallons or so. 1 Keg and 1 case of bombers. 6 gallons, give or take is enough for stouts and ciders these days.

I mostly do 5-6 gallon brews. Occasionally do a 3 gallon batch. Started with 1 gallon brews, but soon moved away from them.

Back