What should I do to my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincy07

Reaction score
So I have been brewing extract w steeping grains for about a year and am planning to do my first AG BIAB batch next weekend. I was using bottled spring water for my extract batches but am wanting to save some money on water and use my own. I don't know squat about water chemistry so I come to you guys and gals for advice.

Here is the 2013 water report for my area, sorry if it's hard to read, I had to do a screen shot on my phone.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398819949.224930.jpg

So what would you guys suggest doing to my water for a good neutral water profile? I'm not concerned w duplicating Munich's or Belgium's water to be 100% true to style.

I can't see that, but what do you have for calcium, sulfate, chloride, sodium, magnesium, and bicarbonate or alkalinity? That would help a lot!

Also, do you have chlorine in your water? Or chlormines?

I can see the screen shot better, thanks!

One of the concerns I have is the max, the min, and the average.

The max of sulfate is HIGH, the min was very low, so I'm wondering what you have when you go to brew. An average doesn't mean anything- what matters is when you brew today.

I can see the screen shot better, thanks!

One of the concerns I have is the max, the min, and the average.

The max of sulfate is HIGH, the min was very low, so I'm wondering what you have when you go to brew. An average doesn't mean anything- what matters is when you brew today.

I get what you're saying, I imagine the numbers change daily depending on weather, i.e. If it rains then the numbers go down as the water supply becomes diluted and go up during a drought. I could be wrong tho. Also, it seems like those numbers are from 2012 so who knows what they're at now.

I guess the only thing I can do is brew w my water and see how it comes out. My first few AG batches are going to be SMaSH recipes so flavor profiles should be pretty simple and let any water/process issues come through.

It is going to be difficult to brew reliably with a water source that varies to that degree. To help assess the variation, you could use aquarium test kits for calcium and alkalinity and that will help resolve the most important issue of mash pH. But you will still be left wanting for the flavor ion content of your tap water. Its hard to plan your treatment without knowing what's in the water. Getting a RO machine may be your best bet.

I know it's not RO but I have a filter on my fridge water. Could I use that or something like a Brita filter for more favorable results? I don't have money for a fancy new machine but probably could afford a Brita system if my fridge filter system isn't good enough (it's a brand new $1100 LG fridge that's only a few months old).

Latest posts

Back