What should I brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss4ivan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew a good session ale (~4% ABV) I have lots of 2 row and a couple pounds of biscuit some 1 lb crystal 40 and crystal 60 and 1 oz of the following hops:

EKG
Citra
Galaxy
Cluster
German Hersbrucker
UK First Gold
Vangaurd
Strisselpalt
Sterling
Crystal
Galena
WGV
UK Pilgrim
UK Bramling Cross
Challenger
Styrian Aurora
Glacier

Any ideas?

I would probably just use a bit of biscuit (8oz) and a bit of the C40(6-8oz) with enough base malt to hit that 4% range. As for the hops, theres so many combos in there that it would be to create a coherent recipe. A good bet for a session beer with a medium hopping I'd grab the different UK hops, use a little bit of them to bitter at 60minutes, then do a bunch at 10/5/0 minutes.

If you had more EKGs I would say just do an all EKG beer.

Challenger at 60 minutes, enough to hit like 20-25 IBUs (if the challenger is high AA% you can just use a smaller portion of the 1oz package to hit 25IBUs then throw the rest in with the First Gold addition)
EKG at 10
First Gold 5
Bramling Cross at 0 (or perform a whirlpool with this, either way)

Maybe dry hop with the Pilgrim for 3-5 days.

Even easier, do the same 60 minute addition I described above. Then take the 10/5/0 minute additions and throw them all in at flameout, I love super heavy late additions, lots of smooth hop character.

Nice, a UK beer actually sounds pretty good. Thanks!

Really I think you could take a bunch of those hops and make a tasty lawn mower pale/amber. Almost all of those are good aroma hops, or dual purpose hops.

A little bit of galaxy to bitter, then citra and cluster and the remaining galaxy sub 10 minute mark and youll have a decent little American Pale. Strisselspalt, German Hersbrucker, and maybe some Sterling, good chunk of Biscuit/C40 and you'll have a sort of German Amber-ish kind of thing.

Latest posts

Back