What should I be seeing at this point?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering what kind of timeline I should be expecting, I pitched my first sour, a rye with lime peel about 3 weeks ago with a Wyeast 3278 (Wild Lambic) smack pack. I know that sours can take many months to develop and ferment out, but I don't know what I should be seeing timewise. I saw the thread on pellicles, will it be months before I start seeing any? Thanks!

You should have seen a normal primary fermentation including krausen and CO2 production so far.

A pellicle is usually a sign for ogygen in your fermentors headspace.
A good sour beer does not need a pellicle.
There a good sour fermentations with and without pellicle.
There are also sour fermentation with and without pellicle that do not turn out good.
The oxygen in the headspace that leads to pellicle formation might also lead to production of acetic acid, so you should avoid opening your fermentor too often.

Best think you can do now is to add some bottle dregs of sour beers you like and then leave the beer be for at least a year. Only replacing water evaporation in the airlock.

Back