What recipe calculator can I use instead of Brewtoad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium82

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am back (after many years) and just learnt that brewtoad shut down (yeah..I know. I am a few years late to the goodbye party :) ). Is there another website, software, app that is extremely similar that I could switch to?

Thank you.

I don't know brewtoad so I can't say anything about similarities, but I've been using Brewers Friends and Brewfather, both have done most things I wanted them to do. I recommend any of them.

I’ve used both BeerSmith 3 and Brewfather. While BeerSmith 3 is the gold standard the platform is not cloud based and so the mobile apps, IMO, are not quite as convenient as BrewFather. I like you use my iPhone or iPad when I brew and leave the laptop as far away from the brew area as possible so the smooth integration over the cloud is why I switch from BS to BF. I manage my water, fermentation schedule, etc drilling down a quite a bit and find both programs are excellent brew software for what I consider intermediate to advance brewing. BF might be a bit more intuitive to start and I really like that is separates the recipes from the batches. I can make adjustments on the batch without it messing with the original recipe. In BeerSmith each batch (version 1 2 3 etc) has its own recipe not the end of the world but l ca leave the recipe alone or back to the original and make specific changes based on improvements experienced in the batch.

there are other software that get good reviews but these are the two I have used worth recommending. I had a few spreadsheets asend a collage of different calculators but I found that inconvenient given where brew software is today.

BeerSmith is my goto. BrewTarget is a bit antiquated and some folks may say the same about BeerSmith.

I've tried the online tools including Brewers Friend. Lots of folks like these things it seems but my head just doesnt wrap around how some of the things are done in those tools. Scaling and other similar tasks just escape me. Maybe I should go revisit but thats my initial impression and .02...

Im on brewfather here. Its what i started with so im just used to it so i guess ive stayed lol, dont really have any complaints except the on ei cant remember right now.

Used several
I like BrewersFriend the best

But, much like food, there is quite a bit of personal preference in this kind of choice. And I like Brussels Sprouts and despise Lima beans. Not sure that helps with brewing software choice, just information. For instance there are many people who may like Lima beans and not BrewersFriend.

They, naturally, would be wrong.

Beersmith 100%, you'll have your recipes local on your computer and in the cloud as well if you want that. One license you can use on 2 different computers, your own and your wife's or your work etc. And if you spend that extra buck for the mobile version, you can design your recipes on the computer, put them in the cloud and read/adjust them on your phone and use the beersmith brewtimer on your phone on brewday which will tell you what to do/throw in next.

And if you spend that extra buck for the mobile version, you can design your recipes on the computer, put them in the cloud and read/adjust them on your phone and use the beersmith brewtimer on your phone on brewday which will tell you what to do/throw in next.

THIS! I use my phone on brew day more than my computer.

Is there a site that just lists recipes by ingredients? As in, I select ingredients I have or like, and it spits out a list of beer recipes that include those ingredients?

Is there a site that just lists recipes by ingredients? As in, I select ingredients I have or like, and it spits out a list of beer recipes that include those ingredients?
This. There used to be one, apparently, but I tried the available links a while ago and they ran dead.

So the intermediate score in descending order of votes is:
NameScorePaid or Free
Beersmith7Paid
Brewfather6Paid
Brewer's Friend5Paid
Brewtarget2Free/Donate
BrewCipher1Free

Last edited:
Back