What recipe calculator can I use instead of Brewtoad?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Elysium82

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am back (after many years) and just learnt that brewtoad shut down (yeah..I know. I am a few years late to the goodbye party :) ). Is there another website, software, app that is extremely similar that I could switch to?

Thank you.

schmurf

Reaction score
I don't know brewtoad so I can't say anything about similarities, but I've been using Brewers Friends and Brewfather, both have done most things I wanted them to do. I recommend any of them.

marc1

Reaction score
I used Brewtoad back in the day. After it shut down, I decided I wanted all records on my computer, not in the cloud. I switched to Brewtarget.
It's not as slick, but gets the job done and is free.

You can recover your old recipes from Brewtoad, as noted here:

NSMikeD

Reaction score
I’ve used both BeerSmith 3 and Brewfather. While BeerSmith 3 is the gold standard the platform is not cloud based and so the mobile apps, IMO, are not quite as convenient as BrewFather. I like you use my iPhone or iPad when I brew and leave the laptop as far away from the brew area as possible so the smooth integration over the cloud is why I switch from BS to BF. I manage my water, fermentation schedule, etc drilling down a quite a bit and find both programs are excellent brew software for what I consider intermediate to advance brewing. BF might be a bit more intuitive to start and I really like that is separates the recipes from the batches. I can make adjustments on the batch without it messing with the original recipe. In BeerSmith each batch (version 1 2 3 etc) has its own recipe not the end of the world but l ca leave the recipe alone or back to the original and make specific changes based on improvements experienced in the batch.

there are other software that get good reviews but these are the two I have used worth recommending. I had a few spreadsheets asend a collage of different calculators but I found that inconvenient given where brew software is today.

OP
E

Elysium82

Reaction score
I used Brewtoad back in the day. After it shut down, I decided I wanted all records on my computer, not in the cloud. I switched to Brewtarget.
It's not as slick, but gets the job done and is free.

You can recover your old recipes from Brewtoad, as noted here:
Wow. Thanks a lot! This is solid gold.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
BeerSmith is my goto. BrewTarget is a bit antiquated and some folks may say the same about BeerSmith.

I've tried the online tools including Brewers Friend. Lots of folks like these things it seems but my head just doesnt wrap around how some of the things are done in those tools. Scaling and other similar tasks just escape me. Maybe I should go revisit but thats my initial impression and .02...

deuc224

Reaction score
Im on brewfather here. Its what i started with so im just used to it so i guess ive stayed lol, dont really have any complaints except the on ei cant remember right now.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Used several
I like BrewersFriend the best

But, much like food, there is quite a bit of personal preference in this kind of choice. And I like Brussels Sprouts and despise Lima beans. Not sure that helps with brewing software choice, just information. For instance there are many people who may like Lima beans and not BrewersFriend.

They, naturally, would be wrong.

BreeBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beersmith 100%, you'll have your recipes local on your computer and in the cloud as well if you want that. One license you can use on 2 different computers, your own and your wife's or your work etc. And if you spend that extra buck for the mobile version, you can design your recipes on the computer, put them in the cloud and read/adjust them on your phone and use the beersmith brewtimer on your phone on brewday which will tell you what to do/throw in next.

Medicbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And if you spend that extra buck for the mobile version, you can design your recipes on the computer, put them in the cloud and read/adjust them on your phone and use the beersmith brewtimer on your phone on brewday which will tell you what to do/throw in next.
THIS! I use my phone on brew day more than my computer.

GoodTruble

Reaction score
Is there a site that just lists recipes by ingredients? As in, I select ingredients I have or like, and it spits out a list of beer recipes that include those ingredients?

Toxxyc

New and loving it
Reaction score
Is there a site that just lists recipes by ingredients? As in, I select ingredients I have or like, and it spits out a list of beer recipes that include those ingredients?
This. There used to be one, apparently, but I tried the available links a while ago and they ran dead.