What qualifications would you believe one needs to work at a LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
I was just wondering what skills you would think one needs to be a considerable asset at a homebrew shop.

Thanks,
J

I manage retail stores for a living which a home brew store basically is. I would say that customer service skills, ability to operate a standard POS system, up-selling and active selling skills are all needed. A background in brewing would put you ahead of the game a bit but its not a necessity as it can all be learn as you go. There is going to be general theories, likes and dislikes that the store will already have set that you will need to adhere to.

****, the helper at one of the local homebrew shops doesn't know ANYTHING about homebrewing other than making "kit and a kilo"-type brew kits. 95% of what you need is customer service skills.

Retail is retail, doesn't matter what you're selling. You need to be able to talk to and listen to people, figure out what they need, and know enough about what you're selling to figure out what fits their need. You won't have everything everyone is looking for, but you should be able to come up with reasonable substitutes on the fly.

Passion and enthusiasm help.

Patience is crucial. Ignorant people don't like being talked down to, and dumb people take a while to understand what you're saying. Know-it-alls want to impress you with their knowledge, so just let them talk at you.

Well said TwoForty. I like the response in terms of a small business owner rather than customer. Hell, although customers are supposedly always right, if prices were up to them, you'd be out of business.

To the other responses, personally as a self proclaimed beer nerd, I really can't stand the idiots that are occasionally employed by some homebrew shops. With that said, I believe a salesman, no matter the industry, if they are passionate about the item they're selling, they will be better at it. blah, blah, and you guessed it, blah.

I manage retail stores for a living which a home brew store basically is. I would say that customer service skills, ability to operate a standard POS system, up-selling and active selling skills are all needed. A background in brewing would put you ahead of the game a bit but its not a necessity as it can all be learn as you go. There is going to be general theories, likes and dislikes that the store will already have set that you will need to adhere to.

:mug:
Best response!

I agree with the general sentiment. As far as brewing knowledge goes, it's far more important to be able to talk someone who knows absolutely nothing through the oversimplified kind of kit instructions that we at HBT generally quibble with than it is to have any advanced knowledge. Anyone who's actually brewed before and is coming back is an easy sell, and can start looking for more direction on their own. What you want is to capture the best percentage of people who come in wondering if they can do it or not, and going with some (to us) oversimplified advice that they can grasp in 2 minutes is the way to do that.

A salesperson who says that you want a big yeast starter, should worry about fermentation temperature, or ought to give it 3 weeks in primary isn't likely to be a good LHBS employee (even if they're a good brewer).

to true. I always got the impression from my LBS that if i ever did anything wrong it would ruin my beer. If the information was over simplified i would have started sooner.

Someone an appreciation of good beer is great, but a vast knowledge may push some "on the fence" customers away.

If the information was over simplified i would have started sooner..

I'm totally in the same boat here. I would have loved seeing RDWHAHB posted outside my LHBS. An employee that has passion for that attitude is way more valuable in my mind than an employee with a passion for making perfect beer.

Wen to LHBS last night. I dont' go that often, because I buy in bulk and sometimes go to another store if it's convenient, and I harvest yeast.

Anyway, there's this "kid" at the counter, and I think, "Oh, great..."

He was very polite, and asked if I need any help. I look around a bit, seeing what's new and finally ask if he had any Honey Malt. He said yeah, I think there is some bulk up here in the tote and takes down a plastic tote and proceeds to measure my grain for me and then seal it in a plastic bag!

I grab some hops and some yeast, and a couple of bungs to fit my new flask and he rings me up while I look at the brew sculpture in the back. When I come back, I notice the bungs were not packed in the bag. So I ask if he had them added to the bill, and he says no, he didn't realize they were mine, but hey don't worry about it, they are only like $.49 each...

Then as I am starting to walk out he grabs the bag of grain and carries it to the car for me!

Knowing kids these days, it's surprising to see one so helpful and intuitive. I might be insulting him just now, but I don't think he was old enough to drink!

A salesperson who says that you want a big yeast starter, should worry about fermentation temperature, or ought to give it 3 weeks in primary isn't likely to be a good LHBS employee (even if they're a good brewer).

Well there goes my life dreams....

Knowing kids these days, it's surprising to see one so helpful and intuitive. I might be insulting him just now, but I don't think he was old enough to drink!

Hey, I wouldn't say that you're insulting him. From your description, he seems that he was a knowledgeable and helpful employee of a store where most others most probably aren't.

Honestly, brewing isn't rocket science. It's easy- even I can do it. You can teach people to brew, but it seems like you can't teach them how to be polite and helpful.

So, most important would be a good attitude and genuinely nice and helpful personality. Everything else could be learned on the job.

"Please", "Thank you" and "Can I help you?" are all that's needed.

I hate it when I go into a homebrew store (and I do whenever I travel) and I'm ignored by some snooty shop owner/worker. Or worse, when they are patronizing to me- "Hey little lady, are you looking for something for your boyfriend?"

"Can I help you" is a great way to start. If you're busy with a customer, or talking with someone, make eye contact or nod to acknowledge someone's presence! I've actually walked in, purchased something, been rung up and paid- without a worker even speaking to me because he was on the phone or chatting at the counter with someone else!

Not a big deal, but I haven't gone back. And I've spent $5000+ on brewing stuff. Just not at your store. Maybe saying "Can I help you" would have been a good idea.

My local brew store is fantastic, it is owner run. They are wine folks but have a beer guy partner that has a full time job. Knowledge is one thing they deal in. If you have a question they have the answers.

One thing they did for me is give me the information to get started. I was one of those "I can't make good beer" guys. They told me yes I could, and I did.

I stop there once a week (usually spending money) just see what is going on. They have been in business for less than a year without much retail experience. I have been in retail for 13 years, so I give them retail tips here and there.

As a part time employee, I would thing the basics in brewing (read some of the books on sale), customer service beyond all, have the ability to get you excited about brewing.

Our store does brewing classes (for a small charge), these classes develop customers. I think the ability to teach for a full time employee is huge.

So, most important would be a good attitude and genuinely nice and helpful personality. Everything else could be learned on the job.
I hate it when I go into a homebrew store (and I do whenever I travel) and I'm ignored by some snooty shop owner/worker. Or worse, when they are patronizing to me- "Hey little lady, are you looking for something for your boyfriend?"

"Can I help you" is a great way to start. If you're busy with a customer, or talking with someone, make eye contact or nod to acknowledge someone's presence! I've actually walked in, purchased something, been rung up and paid- without a worker even speaking to me because he was on the phone or chatting at the counter with someone else!

Not a big deal, but I haven't gone back. And I've spent $5000+ on brewing stuff. Just not at your store. Maybe saying "Can I help you" would have been a good idea.

My wife had a similar experience at my favorite LHBS while shopping for Valentines day for me. I have always had good service but her experience wasnt and she wont go back, they have lost her future sales due to bad customer service. I wasnt there but apparently the girl working was very short with her, and didnt offer much more than they are over there.
Good cutomer service is a must in any retail sales business.:mug:

I'd say the most important part other than basic sale skills (upsell, listening, professionalism, courtesy, etc) is having a passion for brewing. Not just knowing how to use the product but experience in using it and a passion to help beginners as well as vets. As a growing hobby LHBS are at the front line and hopefully will encourage all levels of brewers to keep the hobby going.

"Passion" can be overdone in this setting, I think. People who are passionate tend to have strong opinions, which can be a problem with customers who disagree. Passionate people tend to offer advice even when advice isn't what you're there to buy, and I find that annoying. Basic customer service skills, a good set of ears and basic knowledge of product is all I'd ask for.

Basic customer service skills, ability to operate the POS system, general knowledge of the store's inventory.

Anything beyond that -- specifically knowledge of homebrewing -- is going to add significant value to the store, because you're selling to a niche market where customers either are very knowledgeable or expect to rely on the employees for knowledge.

Anything beyond that -- specifically knowledge of homebrewing -- is going to add significant value to the store, because you're selling to a niche market where customers either are very knowledgeable or expect to rely on the employees for knowledge.

I can agree that a working knowledge of home brewing would help. Don't forget that with knowledge and experience comes strong opinions on the way you like things done. So for the experienced brewer walking into your store, your opinion might be nothing more than wasted breath even if it is great advice. One thing I have learned about home brewing is that there is multiple ways to achieve the same result of great beer. A good knowledge would benefit you when you have a customer that is new to brewing and looking to soak up as much information as possible.

As a career retail manager, I tend to critique the people that help me more so than I believe the average person does. My first major experience in the LHBS was a great one because the sales person was great. He did a great job answering my questions, which I had a ton of. I am a the kind of person that researches for 6 weeks and has a game plan when I walk into a store to make a major purchase. On that trip to the LHBS I had 3 pages of products that I was interested in and questions that I wanted answered written down . The salesperson that helped me did such a great job that I tipped him 10 dollars before I even paid for my products.

Latest posts

Back