what OG should mead have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
I'm brweing my first 5 gal batch of mead. and it came out at 1.100 considering it will ferm down to 1.000 it should have 13% right? but what is normal for mead?

I'm brweing my first 5 gal batch of mead. and it came out at 1.100 considering it will ferm down to 1.000 it should have 13% right? but what is normal for mead?
There's no real "normal".

If you watch the threads here, you'll notice that a lot will work on the amount of honey according to the max tolerance for the yeast, but that often means a very high starting gravity and IMO asking for problems.

Whereas I generally start a batch according to a reasonable start gravity in the 1.100 to 1.110 area. Then I just make sure about the yeast tolerance so I know what I can add for step feeding if that's what I'm aiming for.

I use the later method as I can work out the nutrient/energiser needs for whichever strength I'm aiming for and run SNA as normal but then watch the gravity drops for my step feed point(s), usually in the 1.030 to 1.020 area......

hmm okey.. i used 15lb honey and 5.8 gal of water. Im a newb brewing. but i added a bit of Servomyces as a yeast energizer. and used wyest sweet mead yest. im guessing it will be okay in the end. tho in second ferm im going to add fruits and oak chips in 3 or 1 gal batches

hmm okey.. i used 15lb honey and 5.8 gal of water. Im a newb brewing. but i added a bit of Servomyces as a yeast energizer. and used wyest sweet mead yest. im guessing it will be okay in the end. tho in second ferm im going to add fruits and oak chips in 3 or 1 gal batches
Servomyces ? A yeast I presume ? If so then as long as its boiled or microwaved to kill it off, it should be fine.

As for the yeast ? That's one that is known to be a complete PITA. Finicky as hell, prone to stuck ferments or not even starting. Personally I've tried it 3 times and its failed to start twice and stuck once. As its about 7 times the price of a pack of dry yeast I won't bother trying again.

Of course if its fermenting ok for you then that's great. I'd suggest a couple of ounces (50 grammes) of raisins. Not enough to affect flavour but enough to help with body and nutrients etc.

I don't have the ability to check the numbers on this smartphone but wyeast sweet mead is quite low alcohol tolerance at "only" 11% ABV.

Hey. yeah im a noob in this.. servomyces is a "yeast booster" not yeast in itself....

about the yeast.. its bubbling slowly. and my fermented is pressurized meaning its starting slowly..

I just found out that it was a low ABV so if i want to get my mead down to 1 FG.. i was looking for to hit the 14% mark.. since ill be adding fruits in second ferm.. which yeast would be good to add if it stalls?

And yeah the raisins.. how can i sanitize them? or is there no need for that?

Hey. yeah im a noob in this.. servomyces is a "yeast booster" not yeast in itself....

about the yeast.. its bubbling slowly. and my fermented is pressurized meaning its starting slowly..

I just found out that it was a low ABV so if i want to get my mead down to 1 FG.. i was looking for to hit the 14% mark.. since ill be adding fruits in second ferm.. which yeast would be good to add if it stalls?

And yeah the raisins.. how can i sanitize them? or is there no need for that?
No need but if you're worried just rinse them in sulphite solution leave for 5 then strain and give a good shake........

ok ill try that today then... The yeast is working extremely slow... so im guessing the raisins will help quit allot.

Latest posts

Back