What now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnsie8791

Reaction score
I just got a bunch of funk on the house from my local brew shop. I got brett, brett brux, some brett blends from omega, lacto and a lacto saison blend. I know what to do with the lacto, but am new to the others. I know if I use them I need to dedicate equipment for them including kegging and bottling equip. Can i use the same fermentation chamber i use for my other beers or do i need to ferment in the next county. Also do i add bugs first until i get the flavor profile im looking for then add yeast or is it the other way around. Can i reuse dedicated equipment for other bugs. ie if i make a beer with the brett brux can i use that same equipment for a roeselare blend.

Nice score!

I would use the same fermentation. Some people are more paranoid about it than me and wouldn't, but if you are careful then it should be fine.

I prefer to add the brett/bugs and yeast at the same time. Make sure to give the lacto a head start. For brett beers you can add brett with the yeast, after the yeast in secondary, or all alone with no yeast. Each method will have a different profile.

I just got a bunch of funk on the house from my local brew shop. I got brett, brett brux, some brett blends from omega, lacto and a lacto saison blend. I know what to do with the lacto, but am new to the others. I know if I use them I need to dedicate equipment for them including kegging and bottling equip.
there are different approaches, but i segregate my soft equipment between sacch-only ("clean beers") and bugs (brett and bacteria). brett is a yeast so you should be able to sanitize equipment and re-use with clean beers, but the risks of imperfect sanitation stop me from sharing clean and brett equipment. some places, like Russian River, have a set of soft equipment for clean, another for brett only, and a third for bacteria.

the above rules don't apply to stainless steel and glass. those can be clean, sanitized and shared.

Can i use the same fermentation chamber i use for my other beers or do i need to ferment in the next county.
use the same one.

Also do i add bugs first until i get the flavor profile im looking for then add yeast or is it the other way around.
you can add lacto first and give it a head-start, but generally one either pitches everything at the same time, or sacch first and bugs second.

Can i reuse dedicated equipment for other bugs. ie if i make a beer with the brett brux can i use that same equipment for a roeselare blend.
i do this.

Back