What mineral profile for a Northern brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a Northern brown ale this weekend (recipe) and I was looking for some feedback on water chemistry. I worked out mineral additions based on Bru'n Water's "brown balanced" target:

kzq45Sq.png

In that image TARGET is Bru'n Water's "brown balanced" values, KETTLE and FERM rows are what concentrations I'd actually be getting in the mash/kettle (full volume EBIAB mash) and then in the fermenter after boil concentration. (I'm ignoring the Mg values as is often suggested, you get some from the grain and it's said to be good 'nuff without adding any.)

The "brown full" profile has a little less chloride and sulfate, but all the levels are so low I wonder if I should be worrying at all about changes of 10-20 PPM.

Any tips from fans of the style?

I think you are fine, never going to match exactly to the target profile. Since a Northern Brown is a malt forward beer I would personally use the brown full profile, but you will be fine where you are.

Yeah, I am not worried about an exact match since I honestly don't even know the style that well. Since I have started adjusting minerals my beers have gotten a lot better, but for this brew if I am in the right ballpark it is probably good enough. I'll take another look at the Brown Full profile though. I still have a couple of days to decide.

Back